TB Reviews ENAMOR by Veronica Larsen

He’s infuriating on purpose. She’s too irresistible when she hates him.
~
The first step in solving a problem is recognizing there’s one to begin with. Here’s mine. My new roommate is a conceited, womanizing jerk. He pushes my buttons and drives me so crazy I want to strangle him daily. There’s a million reasons why I should stay far away from him, the most obvious of which being that I hate him with the fire of a thousand suns. 

Except that I don’t hate him. 

I sometimes wonder if this back-and-forth between us is all just pretend. All part of a diversion, a line of defense against the heat we generate whenever we are near each other. 

It's a reckless game we're playing, treading the edge of an attraction so intense it might as well be a grenade. 
Add to GOODREADS.
ARC provided by author.

Review

Enamor is the story of two college students, Julia and Giles. Julia has been burned by her ex and just wants to escape the shame and embarrassment he left in his wake. So, she leaves home and transfers colleges, ending up with an unexpected and unwanted roommate in Giles. Moving away doesn't erase the damage Julia's ex caused and soon she realizes it's time to take a stand. Throughout the book, Julia proves to be a much stronger character than I expected. And though at first Giles seemed to be a pretty easygoing character, I eventually realized he isn't without his own demons. 

One of my favorite things about this book was the slow relationship development. It really gave me time to get to know the characters individually instead of focusing only on the romance. There was none of that "insta-love" that pops up all too frequently in this genre. Instead, it was more like insta-annoyed for Julia, and though Giles may have been attracted to her, he wasn't looking for any kind of relationship.

Still, the underlying chemistry increased as their story unfolded, from prank wars to becoming friends. Real friends who talk and hang out and are there for one another when needed. Despite that, the pull is still there, building and building into something neither can ignore. 

The tension between these two was delicious, and I found myself begging for them to just admit their attraction already! But, I respected that their friendship was so important to them both that they struggled against that growing need to become more. 

Enamor is the perfect book for someone  looking for a well-written new adult story. One that's quiet but sound, even through the angst of the characters' problems and the slight predictability of it all. There is a certain ease to Larsen's writing that I love and her storytelling is engaging and enjoyable. Enamor might have been my first Veronica Larsen read, but I know without a doubt it will not be my last.

Purchase

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!