Julie Reviews Never Let You Go by Katy Regnery

Regret, betrayal, kidnapping, loss, madness, abuse, passion, love.
In this modern retelling of Hansel and Gretel, thirteen-year-old foster children Griselda and Holden escape from their abductor after three years of brutal captivity, and try to cross the Shenandoah River on foot. Tragically, one of them makes it to safety, but the other is left behind.

Ten years later, Griselda’s boyfriend drags her to a fight club grudge match, and her world is turned upside down when she watches Holden step into the ring.

Though the connection between them is fierce, bitter regret, simmering rage, and a tangle of physical and emotional scars lie between them, just as dangerous as the white water of the Shenandoah.

Never Let You Go is a story of fear and hope, defeat and survival, and two people—once profoundly broken—who discover that love is the only thing that can make them whole again.
Add to GOODREADS.
ARC provided by author. 

Review

When I saw this book was coming out, I had no idea what it was about at first but because I knew Katy was writing it, I knew I wanted to read it.  Well, let me say she blew me away with this one.  

Never Let You Go is a book that intrigued me from the start and I just couldn’t put it down.  It’s so different from Katy’s other books and I think that’s one thing that I liked so much about this book.  She goes outside of the box to show she can do something different and she proved she could do it.  I think when you are able to go from one extreme to another in your writing, that you are a very talented writer.

This book starts out with Holden and Griselda who met in their foster home.  From the start, their life was never easy and then it became harder than anyone could imagine.   They were kidnapped and held prisoner for three years by Caleb Foster, a true psycho in my book.  

I won’t say what happens because they got separated and years later, came across each other again.  I loved that Holden and Gris always felt their connection to the other one, even through the years.  They had this undeniable bond that really kept them alive, because they were both so broken.  Only when they reunited did they finally become whole and realized they had more much feelings for each other than foster brother/sister.

“I love you, and when I say that, I mean that you’re my reason for breathing, for eating, for drinking, for sleeping, for living.  I will never hurt you.  I will never leave you.  I will always protect you.  There is no one more important to me than you, and as long as I live, there never will be.” - Holden

As their bond grew stronger, complications arose that I definitely didn’t expect and made the story that much better.  Just when I thought their suffering was over, along came another bump in the road to keep them apart.  You could feel the struggles they each were having but yet I still felt they were destined to be together.

“She loved him in a way that was necessary, not luxurious.  She loved him like the tide loves the sand – trapped together, one lost without the other, pushed and pulled, but never ripped apart.  She loved him in a deep and singular way, almost as though God had crafted one heart in heaven, then split it between Holden’s body and hers, fating her to a never-ending longing to be with him, or a fractional life without him.”

Over time, the puzzle pieces fell into place when they found out why Caleb treated them as horribly as he did.  As Gris came face to face with a part of their past, I was really surprised at how well it was woven into the story.  Another thing I was not expecting. 

One thing that really stood out for me about this book is that Holden made the ultimate sacrifice and it just shredded me.  My heart was broken for him and I shed quite a few tears.  But, I think I fell in love with him even more for that.  As Gris found herself in danger from Jonah, her crazy ex-boyfriend, I think I felt the pain that Holden did. I loved how each of them knew they belonged together but they both needed to become their own person for them, and not for the other one.  They had to stand on their own before they could stand together.  

“You’re my savior.  My angel.” - Holden

So many times during this book, I felt my heart drop and I was so anxious to see what was going to happen next.  I must say that by the end, I was completely blown away and if I weren’t already a Katy Regnery fan, then this would have sealed the deal.  I applaud Katy for putting something out there that was so different for her and if you’re looking for a book with angst, heartbreak, and one heck of a love story, then pick up this 5 star read. 

Purchase

Barnes & Noble - http://bit.ly/1cKiYoo
iTunes/iBooks - http://apple.co/1GbUbnL

About the Author

Award-winning and Amazon bestselling author Katy Regnery started her writing career by enrolling in a short story class in January 2012. One year later, she signed her first contract for a winter romance entitled By Proxy.

Now a hybrid author who publishes both independently and traditionally, Katy claims authorship of the six-book Heart of Montana series, the six-book English Brothers series, and a Kindle Worlds novella entitled Four Weddings and a Fiasco: The Wedding Date. Katy’s short story “The Long Way Home” appears in the first Romance Writers of America anthology, Premiere, and she has published two stand-alone novels, Playing for Love at Deep Haven and the Amazon bestseller The Vixen and the Vet, which is book one in Katy’s a m o d e r n f a i r y t a l e collection. The Vixen and the Vet was nominated for a RITA® Award in 2015.

Katy lives in the relative wilds of northern Fairfield County, Connecticut, where her writing room looks out at the woods, and her husband, two young children, and two dogs create just enough cheerful chaos to remind her that the very best love stories begin at home.

Upcoming (2015) Projects:
The Winslow Brothers (Books #1-4)
Ginger’s Heart, a modern fairytale

Connect with Katy: 
Katy LOVES connecting with her readers and answers every e-mail, message, tweet, and post personally! Click below to connect with Katy! 

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!