TB's Week In Review

What I Read Recently

Art & Soul by Brittainy C. Cherry
ARC provided by author
Art & Soul is a beautiful and touching story of two teens falling in love despite all the issues they are dealing with. And while that may seem like a typical trope, this story stands out more than most. Aria and Levi's story is so heartfelt and Cherry's writing shines. While Aria was once the unnoticed artsy girl, that's all changing now that her secret is out, not that she could keep her secret for long anyways. Levi is new in town, he's come to spend time with his estranged father. Both of these characters I adore. Levi is the absolute sweetest and always so true to himself and Aria is unique and such a beautiful person, even if she doesn't realize it. They both have very real issues and problems; I admire their strength at the challenges they faced. I love the way they help each other along the way. This story broke my heart, but it healed it too. Cherry perfectly told this story through dual POVs making sure that everything Aria and Levi felt, I also felt. The entire cast of characters in Art & Soul were wonderfully well-developed and added so much more to the story. Cherry is a brilliant storyteller, I can't wait to read what she comes out with next!
"The world was often ugly and painful, filled with hate, sadness, and despair. But Aria? She made sense in a senseless world. 
She was the rainbow to my everlasting thunderstorms."

Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins
Read my mini-review for Anna and the French Kiss and Lola and the Boy Next Door HERE.
Perfection. 
When it comes to Isla and the Happily Ever After that's all I can seem to come up with. Isla was just as lovable and adorable as I expected her to be. And I loved getting to know the real Josh, who we met in Anna and the French Kiss. Their story was even better than I imagined it could be. Perkins knows how to write endearing, heartfelt stories. If you're a YA fan, these are definite must reads!

Lola Carlyle's 12-Step Romance by Danielle Younge-Ullman
ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley
When I first started Lola Carlyle's 12-Step Romance I wasn't sure that I would be able to finish it. I mean, Lola was a bit of a snot and really, she fakes being an addict to get into rehab to be with a boy! It was all not making me like Lola very much but then she made me laugh and I decided to give the book a chance and I'm so glad I did. Turns out, while Lola may not be easily likable she is funny and sarcastic and I found myself laughing often at her antics in rehab. It also turns out that she has issues that she needs to face whether she wants to admit it or not and soon I was invested in her journey (her mentor, Adam may have helped with that interest, just saying). By the end of the book Lola had definitely grown on me and I was so proud of her and her personal growth. This was a wonderful coming of age story, with a side of romance. I like that the romance wasn't always front and center but yet I was always aware of it. Lola Carlyle's 12-Step Romance turned out to be a great YA read! It was fun and witty, while tackling some more serious topics. I enjoyed that author's writing style and the pacing was quick making this a nice, afternoon read. 

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!