Danielle's Week in Review

What I Read Recently

Stealing Rose by Monica Murphy
ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley
Stealing Rose is the second book in the Fowler Sisters Series.  I wasn't a big fan of the first, Owning Violet, but I have enjoyed other Monica Murphy books so I figured I should give this one a shot. The good news is I enjoyed Stealing Rose a little more but the bad news is I still felt like it was just an okay read.  Maybe I'm just getting pickier, but lately I want my books to have more emotion.  I want to understand the characters and see them develop through their actions instead of being told how to feel repeatedly.  I need more than sex to enjoy a book.  No I'm not a prude, I enjoy the dirty books but I need more depth and emotion and that is where I feel this one fell flat.  

If I'm being completely honest, I felt like this was the same story as the first book just with different characters.  Any likable qualities I saw in Violet disappeared because I really couldn't stand her in this book.  I was glad that she made an appearance because some of the questions I had after finishing Owning Violet were answered.  I'm not sure if I will read Lily's story, but I have a feeling that will be the best book.  I'm sure others will enjoy this book more.  So if you are looking for a book filled with sex and a decent story where you don't have to think too much this one is for you.  If you want emotion and angst, I wouldn't suggest this one. 

The Salvation of Vengeance by Nancy Haviland
ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley
Read D's mini-review of A Love of Vengeance HERE.
I loved the first book in this series, A Love of Vengeance, so I was super excited when I stumbled upon this one on NetGalley.  It can be read as a standalone but I think you will appreciate the story more if you read the first book.  There are a ton of characters that are major players throughout both books.  At first it is a little overwhelming because several are referred to by their names as well as nicknames but as the story progresses you really get a good understanding of each of them individually.  For this reason alone I was excited to finally get Nika's story.  

Nika is the best friend of Eva, the heroine in A Love of Vengeance.  They have been best friends for years but lately their friendship has been on the rocks. Eva hates Nika's husband and feels like her friend isn't herself.  She can't quite put her finger on it because Nika is tight lipped but it is quite obvious that Nika isn't married to her husband for love.  When the truth comes out, it is shocking.  Nika is being abused and was blackmailed into marriage.  I  was excited to get the back story and find out all the dark secrets.  I was patiently waiting to lose myself in the chemistry that Vincente "The Reaper" shared after just one kiss in the first book.  Unfortunately, the romance and relationship is a slow go and almost nonexistent.  A few times I thought about putting this one down.  I think the author is talented and I loved the first book but I had major issues with the plot and character development.  I wanted to see more action and gain a better understanding of the characters from their actions rather than being told how indecisive they are about their attraction and chemistry they share with one another.  For me this one was a disappointment.  But hey you can't win them all!  Since I loved the first book, I will pick up the next book in the series.  

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!