Danielle's Week in Review

What I Read Recently

Dragon's Lair by Chantal Fernando
ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley
If you read any of our reviews you know that Julie and I have a thing for mc books.  It seems like a new one comes out everyday but I'm extremely picky when it comes to this genre.  I like a darker story.  I want all the dirt and grit that comes along with these bad ass men.  After reading several great reviews for Dragon's Lair I decided to dive in.  I think at one time or another I had read the sample because it seemed familiar.  I'm not sure if this book has been reedited but this time it caught my attention and held it for a while.  I really enjoyed the first half.  It wasn't over the top like several of my favorites but it had an original plot and I liked the characters.  Faye isn't like most heroines.  She is smart and sarcastic and I found myself laughing at her mouth and the way she is with some of the other brothers.  Dex is an alpha male like expected.  He wasn't my favorite but he did the job.  I really appreciate the whole book wasn't sex but had an actual story.  I liked the supporting characters and I look forward to seeing who Chantal Fernando brings to life next.  My confusion lies with the last twenty five percent.  I felt like there was too much chaos going on.  It was a little overwhelming and I felt like nothing was explained in detail before the issue was brushed aside and a new conflict occurred.  I think the story would have flowed better if one or two things would have happened and been expanded on.  Overall, I enjoyed Dragon's Lair.  It fit my mood and I will most likely pick up the next book in the series.  

True North by Liora Blake
ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley
After reading the synopsis, I had high hopes for True North.  I wasn't in the mood for another sad read so I was a little cautious diving in.  After only a few pages, I knew this book was going to be different.  I finished with a smile on my face.  Liora Blake delivered a charming and entertaining romance novel.  Her characters were fun, sexy, and witty. It was well written and I look forward to read the next book in the series.

   Just a little bit about the book.  Kate Mosely is a country girl who wrote a best selling novel after losing her husband.  Don't let that scare you away though.  This isn't another story about a broken woman trying to get over the death of her true love.  Instead, it is about a woman moving on with her life, which was so refreshing. Sure, there are times when she has a little bit of a pity party for herself but as a whole she is living again.  During some of the flashbacks I got a little choked up.  When she meets the hot rock star Trax her life gets even more exciting.  I just loved Trax.  He wasn't the usual rock star that fills this genre.  He was funny and passionate and didn't come across as an arrogant ass. 

Overall, I really enjoyed this one.  I felt like the characters were well developed and the story flowed well up until the end.  I understand the need for drama in books but I almost felt like the actions one of the characters took was out of character for them and caused the story to feel choppy.  I didn't understand their actions as well as I would have liked.  I wanted a little more emotion to understand the choices that were made.  That being said, this was still a good read.  I think people are really going to enjoy it! 

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!