TB's Week In Review

What I Read Recently

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
I don't know why I took so long to read this book, I absolutely adored it! It's sweet, charming, and frustratingly realistic in the perfect kind of way. It's not often I read an entire book in one sitting but with Anna and the French Kiss I couldn't put it down. I didn't care that it was 3:30 in the morning when I finished, this book was worth the late night. Anna was such a likable character and for me, she was very easy to relate to; I loved her friends as well. The beautiful descriptions of Paris made me want to visit and wish I had gone to such a interesting school as Anna did. Anna became friends with a boy, St. Clair, a beautiful boy with good hair but one who unfortunately had a girlfriend. I loved their easy friendship in the beginning and how over time it became more, that is also when things became frustrating, but it was such a realistic situation and that made me love it even more. I wanted to push those two together make them talk, make things happen, but I couldn't and I'm glad because the way it all came together in the end was perfect. Anna and the French Kiss was just the type of read I needed after so many with heavy plot-lines. It was such a refreshingly simple, sweet, and clean story, I easily fell in love with it, as well as Perkins addictive writing. I can't wait to read Lola and the Boy Next Door.

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
I got lucky, Lola and the Boy Next Door was available at my library right when I wanted it to be! So of course I spent another late night reading, finishing it in one sitting. And it was just as adorable as Anna and the French Kiss! Lola Nolan was cute and quirky and such a normal teenager girl confused about her feelings. Cricket Bell, I AM IN LOVE with him! Cricket was my favorite in this book, he was just so sweet and thoughtful, and a bit quirky himself. Lola and Cricket used to be neighbors and best friends, but then he moved away. Now he's back and while Lola thinks she's over him and the feelings she used to have for him, she soon finds out that isn't quite the case. Cricket was so patient while Lola tried to figure out her feelings; she has a boyfriend she thinks she's in love with, but then there's Cricket, her first crush and neighbor who she can't seem to avoid. As with Anna and the French Kiss, Lola and the Boy Next Door is so realistic and so easy to relate to. It's sweet and funny, but has plenty of depth too. There's so much more to Lola's story than her relationship with Cricket, there's her relationship with her birth mother and her fathers, as well. I was also ecstatic to see Anna and St. Clair again in this book! Perkins writes in such a way that you can't help but fall in love with the characters and their story. Everything about this book was just so good and now I'm dying to read Isla and the Happily Ever After, maybe I'll get lucky at the library with that one too!
"I know you aren't perfect. But it's a person's imperfections that make them perfect for someone else."

The Duff by Kody Keplinger
Review Copy provided by publisher via NetGalley
When I started The Duff I went in with no certain expectations. I'd seen the movie trailer, but I know better than to trust them when it relates to the book. The Duff was a pleasant surprise and I really liked it. The main plot line was pretty predictable but I enjoyed the characters and the dialogue and banter enough not to roll my eyes at the predictability of it. Bianca Piper is a tell it like it is kind of girl so she has no problem throwing out insults at playboy Wesley Rush, especially after he informs her that she is 'The Duff' (aka, Designated Ugly Fat Friend) in her tight-knit group of friends. It isn't long before Bianca is in need of a distraction from issues at home and Wesley turn out to be the perfect distraction. I loved Bianca and her cynicism. Wesley was a jerk and I pretty much thought that for the majority of the book, I would have liked more from his character, but he redeemed himself in the end. The issues Bianca had with her parents and her relationship with her friends were pretty important to the story as well and easily kept me interested. Keplinger's writing read with ease and I loved how it matched Bianca's personality. I have to say this book surprised me a bit with it's stronger language and sexual content compared to most YA books I read, but I liked it and it really fit the story. Now that I have read The Duff I'm interested in seeing the movie, but I think I'll wait until the story isn't so fresh in my mind since the movie looks way different than the book.

2 comments

  1. Yay!! You read Anna and Lola! I'm so glad you loved them! Cricket Bell is MINE!! BACK OFF!! I love him so much. It's not weird for me to love a teenager, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally not weird :) I can't wait to read about Isla now!

      Delete

All comments welcome!