Danielle's Week In Review

What I Read Recently

Hero by Samantha Young
ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley
I've seriously been slacking lately.  I'm not sure if I'm burnt out or what, but picking up a book hasn't been a top priority of mine.  When I do decide to settle in with a book, I find myself starting several but unable to find something that holds my interest.  Hero is the first book in weeks that I have actually finished!  Yeah, I think I'm over my slump!  Samantha Young's words drew me in and I was immediately swept away by this captivating story.  Her writing was addicting and the story was filled with the perfect amount of steam, humor, and suspense that held my attention until the final word.  

Alexa and Caine are the last two people you would expect to be together.  The actions of their parents have created a cloud of hate between their two families.  But when the universe intervenes, their lives collide and the chemistry between these two is unmistakable.  But when Caine discovers Alexa's identity, he is determined to make her life hell.  Those unresolved feelings create the perfect story that doesn't play out the way Caine had hoped.

Alexa is determined to show Caine that she isn't her father, but the past has created a resentment that Alexa doesn't deserve.  She has worked hard to become a better person and not let the shit hand life has dealt her.  She is strong and hardworking and isn't going to let a man bring her down, especially a man like Caine.  I really enjoyed her determination and smart ass personality.  It was refreshing to read about a woman that we can all relate to.  She knows that her relationship with Caine isn't going anywhere other than the bedroom but like most women she longs for more.  I think most of us have been in a situation like that once in our lives and it helps her character come to life.  She knows what type of relationship they share and she isn't naive like most heroines, but instead, hopeful.  Caine on the other hand is an ass!  But I mean that as a compliment.  He is the type of character that pulls at your heart because you know it is all a front.  His past has created walls that are impossible to scale.  His hard work and dedication has created an empire that no one can destroy.  Well, that is until Alexa  comes into his life and threatens to destroy it all!  

I really enjoyed this book.  Samantha Young created a love story that drew me in and held my attention.  Her words flowed together and created a realistic story that came to life.  After starting several books before this one, I know this takes talent.  Her characters come to life and tell a realistic story, although a fantasy, that plays out in a way you can relate to.  The only problem I had with this one was one twist towards the end.  I just didn't feel like it was necessary and when the secret was revealed, I felt like it was something that has been overdone in several books I have read in the past.  I felt like these two have been through so much in their lives that the added issue was unnecessary.  But who am I to say, this isn't my story.  Regardless, I really enjoyed this one!  

In His Shadow by Tiffany Snow
ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley
I finished this one a while ago, but life got in the way and I didn't get to write my review until now so I apologize.  I'm a huge fan of Tiffany Snow. I loved the Kathleen Turner series and was super excited to start this new series.  The first half was exactly what I had hoped it would be.  Tiffany Snow writes suspenseful, action-packed stories that hold your attention.  Her heroines always remind me of the female characters in horror movies.  You know the ones that have you screaming at the TV because they are dumb asses that go out into the dark when they should stay put.  You just know they are going to come across an ax murderer but they are too stupid to realize their fate.  Yep, that pretty much describes Tiffany's females and Ivy is no different.  I don't mean that as an insult.  It is actually one of the things that has me flipping through the pages of her work.  Just like a horror movie, you keep watching to see what will happen.  That is exactly how the first half of this book went.  I was speed reading to see where the story would go.  The suspense and mystery of it all had me intrigued and the hot sex was an added bonus.  Unfortunately, the second half of the book I found a little all over the place.  The twist and turns didn't flow together the way I had hoped and I found myself skimming just to finish.  I've seen several reviews that say this book felt too much like the Kathleen Turner series, which I have agree with, but at the same time, that is what I wanted.  I don't see that as  negative because Tiffany Snow's writing style is what had me requesting this one from NetGalley.  Overall, I liked the book.  It didn't blow me out of the water like I had hoped but it was worth reading.  I'll most likely read the other books in the series.  

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!