TB's Week In Review

What I Read Recently

Amour Amour by Krista & Becca Ritchie
In case you didn't know, I am a huge fan of Krista and Becca Ritchie and their Addicted series, so when I heard they were coming out with a new standalone of course I was intrigued. I always love seeing what authors can do outside of their usual series. And then I saw the cover of Amour Amour and read the blurb I knew I had to read it. And these girls did not disappoint.
Thora James is determined to make it in the circus and I was rooting for her from the start. I loved Thora, with her optimism and pep talks, never letting others influence her dreams nor letting her RBF stop her from going after what she truly wants. She knows she's not the best at what she does, but she is passionate about it and willing to work to better herself. Thora isn't in Vegas long when she stumbles into "The God of Russia", Nikolai Kotova, and that first meeting was entertaining, to say the least. The chemistry between Thora and Nikolai is intense and plausible. I was invested in them from the beginning.
From that point on is a beautiful story; one with a sweet and emotional romance, characters so real you feel you know them, and circus act that I wish I could actually go see. Amour Amour is such a refreshing story in the New Adult genre and a great introduction to the talent of Krista and Becca Ritchie if you haven't read their other work. While it is a standalone, I would never complain about having more stories from this amazing cast of characters.
"I'd help you every day so that you could see a better tomorrow. I will never give you less than that."
GOODREADS/AMAZON


Wicked by Jennifer L. Armentrout
I had been anxiously awaiting the release of Wicked ever since I heard Armentrout was writing it. New Adult, paranormal, Fae and New Orleans, it sounded so promising and I usually LOVE Armentrout's paranormal series, but I ended up finding Wicked to be a bit lackluster. Ivy, a member of The Order who protects the humans from Fae, reminded me of a few of Armentrout's past heroines as times, never really standing out on her own. She's had great loss in her past, which makes it hard for her to let people in and romance isn't on her radar, but things change when Ren enters the picture. I feel as if Ren couldn't decide if he was the cocky, alpha-male or the sweetheart, he flipped flopped back and forth so much it made it hard for me to really fall for him. Tink was my absolute favorite character, he was so fun, I looked forward to scenes with him. When it comes to Armentrout's past novels, I've always been riveted to the pages and completely captivated by the world she creates, that wasn't the case with Wicked, the story was slow at times and the romance a tad bland. The drama with the Fae was what kept me reading but I even found that to be predictable, which was pretty shocking to me. 
With all that said, it makes it sound as if I didn't like the book, but that's not the case at all. I did like it! But it did not meet my expectations at all, maybe I had set the bar too high. I do plan to continue the series and I have no doubt Armentrout will bring another entertaining story with it.

Idle Bloom by Jewel E. Ann
Idle Bloom majorly impressed me. I didn't go in with any certain expectations, but the story was so different and unexpected and so well written it blew me away. Vivian is a character that I quickly loved, she's smart, witty, and fun, but also scarred from her past. I'd want to be her bff is she didn't already have such a great one. Vivian meets Oliver on the train, and it's as if they are meant to be. They keep running into each other and their chemistry is off the charts; there was no way these two weren't getting together. Oliver also has a past, one he hasn't dealt with and one that brought tears to my eyes. Nothing about their relationship is easy, but the effort they put into was one reason I loved it and them so much. 
This book isn't perfect, there were a few issues for me here and there and things that caused me to go "WTH?!", but the story, the characters, it all made me not care about those things in the end because I loved this book, unlike I have loved one in awhile. Vivian and Oliver have one one those love stories that's so real and honest it just melts my heart. Idle Bloom had me laughing, smiling, swooning, and even crying. It had a perfect blend of angst and grief, love and happiness, and sarcasm and steam. Jewel E. Ann has a new fan in me, I can't wait to read more of her work.
"To the front of the battle line, the end of the earth, to my last breath...That's how far I will go for her."

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!