Danielle's Week in Review

What I Read Recently

Falling for Jillian by Kristen Proby
ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley
I love Kristen Proby!  She is  my go to author when I'm looking for a quick steamy read.  Falling For Jillian was no different.  I've been looking forward to this book for months.  Zach intrigued me in Loving Cara, and I couldn't wait to get inside his head.

 Honestly, this book was not what I thought it was going to be.  I was hoping to see more of Zach's struggles with PTSD but we didn't get that.  Regardless of what my expectations were, Kristen Proby still delivered a solid read that I enjoyed.  Falling for Jillian can be read as a standalone but I think you have a better connection to the characters if you read the previous books in the series first.  One of the things I enjoy most about Proby's books, is that her characters develop throughout the series and not just in the the books dedicated to that character.  I guess that is what has happened with Zach.  He has grown throughout the previous books from dealing with his PTSD.  He is home from war and making a life with his son back on the family ranch.  After his ex-wife runs off leaving their son behind, he is determined to make up the time he has lost with his child.  I really enjoyed Zach.  I think he is one of my favorite male characters in the series.  He is an alpha male but his caring and nurturing side shows through as he raises his son.

 Jillian has moved home because her marriage fell apart.  She and Zach shared one unforgettable night months ago and have avoided each other since.  When the two get together, they burn up the sheets!  Although the sex was hot, I enjoyed their interaction the most.  I loved that Jillian was a strong heroine.  When things get tough, she doesn't whine and act like a child.  Her maturity was refreshing.  I loved the relationship she has with Seth, Zach's twelve-year-old son.  There was one particular scene that had me tearing up.

Overall, I enjoyed this one.  Although, it was more predictable than I would have liked and lacked the emotional growth I was looking for, it was still good.  I'm sure fans of Proby will love this one!  I'm looking forward to the next book in the series!
GOODREADS/AMAZON 

The Untouchables by J. J. McAvoy
ARC provided by publisher via Netgalley 
Read my review for Ruthless People HERE.
I have been waiting for this book for months!  Ruthless People, the first book in the series, was one of my favorite reads of 2014.  J..J. McAvoy has created a fantasy world of drug dealers, murderers, and mobsters that I can't get enough of!  If you haven't read the first book, get on it!  Let me warn you though, this isn't a series for the squeamish!  If you can't handle drugs, murder, and craziness, then stick with the sappy romance novels because this series has none of that!  

I was a little worried when I first picked this one up.  I wasn't sure how J..J. McAvoy could live up to the mayhem that Ruthless People delivered.  I was worried that this second book was going to be more of a filler, but within the first paragraph, I knew that wasn't going to be the case!  The Untouchables is another crazy ride that I devoured in hours! 

 Melody and Liam are unlike any other characters you will ever read.  They are both crazy!  When they aren't running a successful underground drug empire, they are busy fucking on every surface they can find!  Don't let that scare you off though.  Sure, this series is filled with some hot sex scenes but their libidos don't overpower the story.  Actually, I was surprised and impressed with the character development in this book.  Liam and Melody make a tremendous amount of growth in their relationship.  They truly become partners in every sense.  Which is a huge accomplishment because their world is chaotic!  People are trying to destroy everything they have accomplished and it seems like the universe picks the worst possible times to dump a load of shit on them.  Both are both strong and determined to rule the world.  Nothing slows them down, well, almost nothing.  J..J. McAvoy wrote The Untouchables in a way that you are able to get into every character's head and really get an understanding of what is going on in the midst of all the chaos.  Peaking into the supporting characters' thoughts helps paint a bigger picture.  This approach could have easily become overwhelming and confusing, but  the author does a great job intertwining each of the characters so it delivers an action-packed and suspenseful story that kept my attention until the last page!  

I can't say enough how much I love this series!  When my personal life is crazy, nothing is better than being swept up in a good book.  The Untouchables did just the trick!  J..J. McAvoy is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors.  I can't wait to see how all this plays out!

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!