TB's Week In Review

What I Read Recently

Everly After by Rebecca Paula
ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley
First, I have to say Everly After is very well written. I was surprised this was Paula’s debut work, she clearly has talent. Now with that said, I don’t think I was in the right mood for this sort of story. It deals with two very damaged characters and while they both have sad stories, I never felt deeply for them and I would have liked their backgrounds explored a little more. The start of this story, when Everly and Beckett meet, intrigued me and I was quickly invested in their story, but somewhere along the way as they got to know one another I became bored.  Around the halfway point, the book picked back up but it still didn’t seem to hold my attention well and the constant struggles began to wear on me. I did enjoy the slow romance between Everly and Beckett, it wasn’t an I love you from the get-go, but I definitely felt the chemistry between them. Even though I struggled with parts of the story, the end made it worth it. And I honestly think had I read Everly After at another time I may have been more moved by it. I’ll definitely be reading more of Paula’s work in the future and possibly even giving Everly After another try. 

Sideswiped by Lia Riley
ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley
Read my mini-review for Upside Down HERE.
I’ll admit after reading Upside Down, the first book in this series, I wasn’t in any hurry to read Sideswiped. Don’t get me wrong, I love Riley’s writing style and I really love the couple this series revolves around, Talia and Bran, but gracious they got on my nerves in the first book. Now that I’ve finally read book two, I am very glad I did. In Sideswiped Talia and Bran are living together and trying to figure out their future, a future to where if they follow their dreams it could tear them apart. Things aren’t easy for Talia and Bran, they have real issues and this book puts them through the ringer but it also solidifies that they are meant to be together. I loved that Sideswiped was told in Talia and Bran's POV, it really made me feel the love they had for one another and helped me understand the things they were going through. Along the way they don't handle their problems the best, especially Bran, he has a hard time discussing anything outside of what he is okay with, but that just makes them that more relatable. I admire Talia's decision in the end, she does what is best for them both, whether they realize it or not. Sideswiped is a heartfelt, emotional and sometimes humorous addition to Talia and Bran's story. Now I can't wait to read their conclusion, Inside Out.
"If you burn away my bones, my love for him would remain, tattooed in the air."

Inside Out by Lia Riley
ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley
Inside Out is Talia and Bran’s final book and it was absolutely perfect for them. After Sideswiped I was worried about where the future would take them, but I shouldn’t have been, these two have a love that will stand the test of time.  I was surprised by the turn of events several times throughout this book but loved how things kept playing out for Talia and Bran. They still struggle with their issues but they've grown so much since Upside Down, they're both at a much healthier place in life. Inside Out is beautifully written and filled my heart with so much love for this couple and their story. Lia Riley has created a brilliant trilogy with realistically flawed characters, witty dialogue and a story line that's pleasantly unique. I’m going to miss Talia and Bran, but I’m so pleased with the ending of their journey.

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!