TB's Week In Review

What I Read Recently

The Fine Art of Pretending by Rachel Harris
ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley
If you’re looking for a charming YA contemporary romance read, this is definitely the book for you. The Fine Art of Pretending follows Aly as she attempts to shed her tomboy look and get out of the friend zone with Operation Sex Appeal. She enlists the help of her best friend Brandon to help her seem datable, by pretend dating, can’t go wrong with that, right? This book was totally predictable but I didn’t even care, in fact that may have made me enjoy it even more. The characters were very likeable and the storyline was cute and flowed well, keeping me engaged. Harris was able to pull me right back to those high school years of teenage drama, heartbreak and love. The friendships and relationships between the various characters were well-developed, I hope to get stories for a few of Aly and Brandon's friends in the future! This is a sweet story and one I would recommend when looking for an easy, enjoyable read.

Every Ugly Word by Aimee L. Salter
ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley
Every Ugly Word is a really good book. It didn’t leave me feeling all warm and fuzzy like I usually prefer, but it’s a compelling and intriguing story that kept me glued to the pages. As someone who has never dealt with bullying, Every Ugly Word showed me just how cruel people can be. Ashley is a very real character, she has faults and flaws, she doesn’t always make the best decisions, but she’s just trying to survive. My heart broke for Ashley and all she had to endure from her classmates and her mother. Every Ugly Word alternates between Ashley talking to a psychiatrist about the events from high school and the actual events she was describing taking place. The mystery behind a certain event kept me turning the pages late into the night. This book has a paranormal twist; Ashley sees an older version of herself in the mirror. I liked the idea behind this, I just feel like I was missing information about it. I’ve learned sometimes you just have to go with a concept whether it makes sense or not and this is one of those cases. And I went with it for pretty much the whole book, it was one of the end scenes that really threw me and made me question so much about this mirror thing but I was left kind of clueless. Outside of that, Every Ugly Word is a well-written story with realistically flawed characters and a captivating plot.

All I Need by Caisey Quinn
ARC provided by author
I’m a huge fan of Caisey Quinn so I was excited to read this novella and I wasn’t disappointed. To be such a short read, Quinn delivers strong characters and a story that pulls you in and has you rooting for the main couple. I enjoyed both Justin and Everly and I liked that All I Need was told in their alternating points of views. It has the perfect amount of backstory, drama, and sexy times. This is a quick read that was very enjoyable. I’m looking forward to reading more of the Abbott Springs novellas now!

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!