Danielle's Week In Review

WHAT I READ RECENTLY

A Love of Vengeance by Nancy Haviland
ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley
A Love of Vengeance is the first book in the Wanted Men series, let me tell you I'm so excited about this one!  At first I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about this book.  There are a ton of characters.  There are bosses, underbosses, security, family, friends, enemies and even a motorcycle gang mixed in.   It was a little overwhelming figuring out who is who.   The more I read the more excited and connected I got.  Each of the characters in this book have a purpose and play an integral part of the story.  Very quickly I found myself submerged in this crazy mafia world.  It has been a while since I fell in love with so many secondary characters, I can't wait to find out their stories.  I devoured this one in a sitting.  It was the perfect mix of sex, love, suspense, mystery, action and forgiveness.  For a debut novel, Nancy Haviland did a wonderful job and I can't wait for the next book in the series!

Teach Me by Ella Sheridan
ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley
Teach Me started off really good.  I was quickly interested in the characters and wanted to know more.  Jess has just recently gotten out of an abusive relationship and her ex isn't letting her go anytime soon.  Conlan is sexy ex-military guy who now runs a security business.  He is instantly attracted to Jess and determined to help her out.  I liked that part of the story.  I liked the suspense and action, it was the other parts of the story that had me rolling my eyes.  There is so many little things thrown in like Jess being a virgin that didn't work for me.  You never know her age and it just seems silly.  There was already so much going on it just felt unnecessary.  Overall, I liked the book.  I just felt like it was rushed, and could have been really good if it wasn't.  There is obvious chemistry between the two but the whole connection and love never developed for me.  I never felt like they shared anything more than lust.  

One Night: Denied by Jodi Ellen Malpas
ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley
This is a really hard review for me to write.  Honestly I debated whether or not to publish this one the blog.  I really hate when an author that you love doesn't work out.  I've had One Night: Promised sitting on my kindle forever so when I was approved for One Night: Denied I knew I couldn't wait any longer to read it.  I really enjoyed the first book.  I read it in a day and was happy I could immediately jump into this one.  I was interested in how the story was going to play out.  When Miller's occupation was revealed I was shocked and wanted to know more.  I was happy the second book picked up right where the first left off.  Unfortunately after the first few chapters the book just fell flat.  The constant back and forth had me bored to tears.  It took me almost a week to finish this one.  There were several times I just wanted to say screw it and put it down.  The pages felt like fillers.  Most of the book was repetitive and sex.  There was even a chapter that was so choppy I thought I was missing pages.  My interest and excited after reading One Night: Promised fizzled to nothing and I just wanted to finish. Finally at the end some of the story is revealed.  At that point it was too late for me.  I would have enjoyed this one much more if it wouldn't have taken so long.  Honestly, I'm not sure if I will read the last book in the series.  At this point I am over it.  I would like to know what happens at the same time I don't want to read 300 more pages of sex and nothing else significant.  Sorry if I offend anyone that likes this book.  Maybe I'm just getting pickier these days.  This one was a disappointment for me, like most books everyone has different taste.  So I would recommend you try it for yourself.  

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!