TB's Week In Review

What I Read Recently

Uncovered by Emily Snow
Uncovered was a slow story and there was something about that that I liked. Everything happened over time, the story wasn't rushed, it had time to develop. After a mysterious phone call about her father, Gemma moved to L.A. to go undercover and find out the truth behind her father's death. She's a girl on a mission and I loved feeling like I was uncovering clues with her. Oliver is an unexpected distraction to her plans though. Oliver was not what I was expecting! Sure, he was cocky, but he wasn't the rich playboy I thought he'd be when I first met him. He surprised me often. And these two, boy did they have some serious chemistry. As I said before, this story is slow, but it kept me intrigued. I had to know the all the secrets! And several of them ended up surprising me. I did find the ending to be a bit rushed, but this story wasn't all about the big reveals to me, it was Gemma's journey to the truth, with a nice love story on the side. Uncovered was mysterious and sexy and I enjoyed Snow's writing style, it flows well.  I'm excited for Gemma's friend, Pen's story next!

Damaged Goods by Nicole Williams
I’ll admit, I was not a fan of the first in this series, Hard Knox, I had planned to just bypass the rest of the series, but I had a few trusted friends tell me Damaged Goods was better so I decided to give it a chance. And I’m glad I did, this story was in no way related to Hard Knox and Damaged Goods was much better. The story line kept me intrigued, there were several great characters that I loved, and a twist that definitely surprised me since I wasn't really looking for one. Liv leaves her college life to go home and care for her sisters, she does whatever she has to do to support them and I have to admire her character for that. There were situations that pulled at my heartstrings with these sisters. Then there’s next door neighbor Will Goods, and he’s just a great guy. The type of male lead I enjoy most, so of course I loved him. Will and Liv, I never really felt a strong connection between them. There's chemistry, but when I was reading how they felt for one another, I just wasn't feeling it. Liv spent a lot of time in her head analyzing over everything and at times I found myself skimming. Even with that, this is a good book. There was plenty going on to keep me reading and I loved the secondary characters; Jake, Reese, Paige, and even Cherry, they all brought something different to the story. 

UnWritten by Chelsea M. Cameron
ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley
…I’m not sure what to say about this one. If someone were to ask me about it, my only response would be "I read it." I didn’t dislike Unwritten, but I can’t say I really liked it either. It’s sitting in that weird limbo stage. I love the cover and I was incredibly intrigued with the synopsis, but the story just didn’t live up to my expectations from those things. Unwritten never really drew me in nor had me caring for the characters. The humor felt stilted and the romance didn’t have much depth. There was a lot going on in the book, but I never was really sure where the focus was at. The writing threw me off at first, it read like a storybook, but it eventually smoothed out. Or maybe I got used to it. I really believe Unwritten could have been a great book, I could see the potential in it, but it just didn't win me over.

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!