Danielle's Month In Review

What I Read This Month

Black Lies
by Alessandra Torre
Arc provided by publisher via NetGalley
It has been a few days since I finished this beauty and I still can't quit thinking about it.  This one took me by surprise.  I'm a huge fan of Torre's work but I think this is my favorite book so far.   I really don't want to say much about the plot, it really needs to be read without any spoilers.  Let me just say this one blew me away!  Not only is this one sexy and hot like Torre's previous books but it is also mysterious and intense.  It isn't your typical love story!  This is a story about love, the type of love that consumes you and takes over your life!  I really appreciated that it is so different from most the other books on the market.  It has been a while since I couldn't figure out a book and this one stumped me at times. Just pick this one up and read it, you won't regret it!   When you start hating Layana, just keep reading, once the secret is revealed the book comes full circle!  Black Lies has landed it's spot on my favorites list of 2014!  

53 Letters for my Lover by Leylah Attar
Wow!  I really don't think I have the words to express how wonderful this book is!  Lea was on my ass to pick this one up for several weeks, so I knew I had to read it!  Let me be honest, the synopsis didn't do much for me so I kept hesitating.  Once I started, I couldn't put it down.  Everything I thought this book was going to be was wrong!  This is a true love story!  Not the traditional story that you read over and over again but a story about love!  Love is such a simple word for how complex it is.  There are so many different types of love.  Heck there is even such a difference between loving someone and being in love with someone, this book touches on each and every aspect of it.  Shayda Hijazi takes us on a journey that spans over three decades.  You really need to get inside her head and understand where she is coming from to get a true grasp of this book.  She comes from Iran and her culture is so different than most of us are used to.  I think it is really important to remember that as you read this one.  I hated some of the decisions she made but at the same time, I had such high respect for her.  Shayda may come across as a selfish person but in my opinion she is one of most unselfish characters I have ever read about.  She puts everyone else's needs above her own.  That is one of the reasons this book is so beautiful!  It has been a long time since I have had a book take me on an emotional roller coaster like this one!  I laughed, cried and damn near threw my kindle across the room.  So if you are looking for something different, I highly recommend this one!  53 Letters for My Lover is one of the best books I have read this year! 

Seducing Lauren by Kristen Proby
Arc provided by publisher via NetGalley
Seducing Lauren is the second book in the Love Under the Big Sky series.  While I'm a big fan of Kristen Proby and I enjoy her work, this book was just an average read for me.  It was quick and held my attention but I wanted a twist or something in it.  I had the plot figured out by the first chapter.  When things fell apart, I wished that it would have been a little more intense.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this one but it just wasn't the best book I have read.  Lately it seems like every book I pick up has the same plot just different characters, maybe it's me but I want something different!  
  After reading the teaser in Loving Cara I was excited to pick this one up but the deeper I got into it, my excitement fizzled out.   It had nothing to do with the characters or the writing.  I really enjoyed Ty and Lauren.  They were both likeable; it was just their story was too predictable, which wouldn't have been a problem for me if there would have been a little more drama. With such a simple plot,  I wanted to have my emotions all over the place and taken on a ride as the story played out.  Unfortunately, that didn't happen for me.  What I did get though was hot sex!  Like Proby's previous books, this one has a few hot as hell love scenes that got my blood pumping!  If there is one thing about Proby's work that I love, it is the way her characters are included in each book in the series.  By the time you have read several books in her series, you start to feel like the characters are family and I really enjoy that.  For that reason, I will pick up the next book in the series.  

My Control (The Inside Out Series) by Lisa Renee Jones
Arc provided by publisher via NetGalley
I love this series!  If you haven't read it, I highly recommend you do!  There are several novellas and journals that go along with the series and the book order can get a little confusing but if you look on Goodreads the order is laid out for you.  If you haven't read it, I don't want to give anything away so this review will be short, sweet and spoiler free!  If you have read them and are looking forward to this novella, my words will make a little more sense to you!  
 After finishing the first few books, Mark was not one of my favorite characters.  I really just thought he was a selfish, controlling asshole.  After finishing My Hunger, I thought okay maybe he isn't such an ass but just complex.  If I was questioning my reasoning, My Control just justified it!  I hate to admit it but I'm quickly falling in love with Mark.  He is so much more than I had previously thought!  He actually has feelings and with these novellas you really get an understanding of where he is emotionally. He is struggling with his control, emotions, and the decisions he has made.  Guilt is an ugly thing and it is so nice to see Mark as a human!  Sure he is still controlling and will always be a Master but it is nice to see that Crystal is able to make him question even that!  I can't wait to read more!  This series has been such a long emotional journey and I can't get enough!  I really hope to see Mark face his demons and get his happily ever after!  Until the next book, I'll be chomping at the bit to see how everything plays out!   

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!