TB's Week In Review

What I Read Recently 

The Real Thing by Cassie Mae
ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley
Read Kathy's review HERE.
This was my first Cassie Mae book, but it certainly won’t be my last! The Real Thing was a wonderfully awkward, sweet, and realistic story with relatable characters. Mia is a bit addicted to her social media. She spends hours online and has a problem disconnecting. But that social media has kept Mia in touch with her best friend, Eric, over the years and they finally get a chance to spend the summer together. Eric has his own problems and insecurities. I love these two. I completely understand Mia, it’s easy to get caught up in what’s happening online or get lost in your favorite book. And finally there’s a hero who isn’t perfect, Eric was such a refreshing male lead. I loved seeing these two best friends come together again after several years apart and seeing their friendship grow into something more. It isn't a transition made without a few awkward moments and laughs along the way! There's a great balance of funny moments and serious topics in this book. This was such a fun and sweet read, I can't wait to read more by Cassie Mae!

Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover
Read Julie's review HERE.
Colleen Hoover never ceases to amaze me with her talent. Her stories are always exceptional. And Ugly Love was no different. While this book was much different than her past work, it still had that CoHo vibe, there’s a certain feeling I get when I read her books that I can’t quite describe but it was there in full force.  I don’t want to say much about the story, but I will say Ugly Love was a beautifully heartbreaking read. It was the first book I ever wanted to re-read the moment I finished it. There was something so compelling about it, maybe it was the mystery of Miles’ past or the curiosity of how the relationship with Tate and Miles would turn out. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story, but unfortunately I couldn’t quite connect to either of the main characters. I didn’t dislike Tate, but I couldn’t relate to her either. Then there’s Miles, who we only saw through Tate’s eyes in the present. We got his POV but it told the story of his past, and how he became so broken, which made it hard for me to understand him in the present. (My favorite character was actually Cap.) Even with that, I was absolutely fascinated with their story. While reading the present, I couldn’t wait for more of Miles’ past. And while reading his past, I couldn't wait to get back and see what would happen in the present. Tate and Miles’s story is full of pain. It hurt me as much as it was hurting them. I will admit the beginning of the story felt a bit slow at the time of reading, but once I finished the book it felt necessary, a slow build-up of sorts. The last 20% was intense and at one point brought tears to my eyes.  Colleen Hoover impressed me once again with her writing. I loved reading Miles’ POV, it was lyrical with the way it flowed. And Hoover showed she knew how to write a steamy scene! I loved Ugly Love, I can’t say it was my favorite CoHo book but it was still an incredible read. 

Opposition by Jennifer L. Armentrout
This was the final book in the Lux series, so if you haven’t read them I suggest you do! I don’t think it has hit me yet that Kat and Daemon’s story is over. There’s not much I can say about this book, except it was the perfect conclusion to an epic series! It had the perfect amount of action and answers to tie-up the series.  Daemon will always be my favorite alien and Katy my favorite book blogger. Now I need a spin-off of some sort. I’m not ready to leave all these characters behind!

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!