Julie's Week In Review

What I Read This Past Week

Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover
When you hear a title and you wonder how it fits the book, then this is one you will not have to wonder about. If Ugly Love couldn’t be a better title, then I don’t know what would.
Tate has come to live with her brother, Corbin, and finds one hot hunk of a man in Miles, the neighbor and a fellow pilot of her brother but it’s certainly not an easy road for either of them. Tate has decided she doesn’t have time for a relationship while Miles has such a tragic past that he doesn’t feel like he can love anyone or deserves to be loved. Little did they know that they had an attraction neither one can deny.

“I suppose if a man lived through the ugliest side of love, he might never want to experience it again.”

As Tate and Miles decide on a friends with benefits type of arrangement, it isn’t long before Tate realizes she has deeper feelings for Miles than she ever thought possible. I applaud her for some of her patience at times because this was definitely hard on her. No matter what she tried, she couldn’t get him to open up.

“Love isn’t always pretty, Tate. Sometimes you spend all your time hoping it’ll eventually be something different. Something better. Then, before you know it, you’re back to square one, and you lost your heart somewhere along the way.” – Miles

Miles is one broken soul and once you get into his past, you realize he has every reason to be. If anyone has had such a past of lost and loneliness, then it certainly is him. My heart just breaks for him and I feel myself trying to pull him out of his deep hole. I love seeing him open his heart and want to try but you can really tell how tortured he is. 

“God gives us the ugliness so we don’t take the beautiful things in life for granted.” – Miles

One thing I love about Colleen’s writing is that she pulls you into the story and really makes you feel like you are standing right in front of them. She holds nothing back with the emotions she makes you feel, whether it’s happiness or sadness. Her writing is impeccable and I am always one to jump onto anything she writes, sometimes not even reading a synopsis because I know her work is excellent!! I highly recommend this book but be prepared to struggle with your feelings in this one!!

Reviving Haven by Cory Cyr
If a woman ever deserved to be revived and restored, it would definitely be Haven. She has been through a lot of hurt and seems content to just run her bookstore and glide through life. She is self-conscious and is not ready for romance after what she’s been through, and who can blame her? She has been through so much and it’s so disheartening.
When she attends a party with her friend and her eyes lock with Latch McKay, she knows her life will never be the same. From their first meeting and what a meeting it is, the sparks fly and she knows she’s a goner. She’s so afraid and as Latch pursues her, she is so torn with her feelings. 

“Latch McKay scares the hell out of me, and if I let him into my bed, he will be my undoing.” – Haven

The one big kicker to this book is the age difference. It doesn’t matter to Latch that he is twelve years younger, but it’s so difficult for Haven to get past it. It definitely takes a lot of chasing on Latch’s part and he is one persistent man!! Who couldn’t resist that??

“Baby, I want to be a part of your life, not just the good parts and not just the present, all of it and everything in between. Why do you think I’ve been so insistent? I wasn’t stalking you – I was claiming you.” – Latch

One thing about this book is that Haven sure spreads her wings and learns to open up to Latch and feel more emotions and love than she ever thought possible. It is definitely not an easy ride because with Latch’s fame and his issues there is so much for Haven to deal with. Not only with his secret, but also with his past of women. Because of her being older, she feels so insecure and it really pulled at my heart to see her so down on herself. This book was good for me but not great. It’s one of the few I have read with an older woman/younger man and I was pleasantly surprised.

What I'm Reading Now

How To Kill A Rock Star by Tiffanie DeBartolo

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!