TB's Week In Review

What I Read Recently

If I Stay by Gayle Forman
I have eyed If I Stay for a very long time, but for some reason the thought of reading it scared me. Possibly from the fact of how sad I heard it was. I was afraid it would break me. Then seeing the movie trailer, I knew I finally had to read it.
It wasn’t the heart-wrenching story I was expecting. Sure, it’s definitely sad as I watched Mia watch herself and struggle with the decision before her. But it was just that, I saw her struggle and pain but I never really felt it. I just felt sadness for this young girl and all she was going through as she decided her own fate. As Mia watches over her body in ICU, she reminisces of the past with her family, friends, and boyfriend. This was my favorite part of the story, seeing the past and the relationship she had with her parents, her friend Kim, and her boyfriend Adam. It flows smoothly from being in the hospital with Mia to a past memory and back. This is a fairly short novel but it’s beautifully written. I didn’t cry, it didn’t break me, but it was still an emotional journey of love and loss and life and death. 
"If I stay. If I live. It's up to me."
GOODREADS/AMAZON


Where She Went by Gayle Forman
Where She Went is Adam’s story three years later, he’s a rockstar now but the fame isn’t as great as you’d think it would be and well, Adam’s a mess. I fell in love with Adam in If I Stay, I knew how much he loved Mia then, but in this story it became painfully clear what they had was so much more than just love to him. Three years later, Adam is still dealing with the aftermath of Mia’s decision. I hurt for him. The writing felt so much more powerful this time around. I felt for Adam in ways I never did for Mia. I loved the way we got flashbacks into the last three years to see what took place and how Adam ended up where he was in life, so we could understand his grief, loneliness, and anger. This book provided the closure I so desperately wanted after finishing If I Stay and I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out. My heart is happy again.

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!