TB's Week In Review

What I Read Recently

Scoring Wilder by R.S. Grey
ARC provided by author
Read Danielle's Mad Libs review HERE.
I had high expectations going into Scoring Wilder. R.S. Grey’s last work, With This Heart, was one of my favorite reads this year. Scoring Wilder was an easy read. It was fun and flirty. No crazy drama or major angst. Kinsley was a likeable character in the beginning, her goals are admirable, and I respected the way she handled several situations. But she came across a bit immature at times; her decisions and actions contradicted themselves often causing me to become confused. Her internal dialogue was occasionally funny, but a lot of the time it felt forced or cheesy. Liam was hot and uber sweet, but I didn’t feel as if his character had much depth, I never really got to know him. I just kept being told how perfect he was and how he was a reformed bad boy. I was never really connected to the story or situations at any point. There were inconsistencies in the book that distracted me causing my enjoyment to falter. Unfortunately this book wasn’t at the standards I anticipated. With that, it’s still a decent read. Kinsley and her friends are definitely entertaining with their crazy antics and great dialogue. There was just something missing from Scoring Wilder to make it wow me. But even though it didn't wow me, I look forward to R.S. Grey's next work.

Found by You by Victoria H. Smith
ARC provided by author
As a huge fan of The Space Between series by Victoria H. Smith, I was excited when I was able to read Found by You. Once again, Smith tackles diversity with this story of Roxie and Griffin, although this time it isn't their skin color that creates the majority of the problems. Griffin has an ex that's out for revenge and Roxie has a past that could ruin Griffin. I liked both Roxie and Griffin. Roxie may be quiet but she's tough when she needs to be, I loved how she always stood up for herself. For me, she just had too much going on with her past; nothing felt developed or explored enough. Griffin was a sweet guy and I like that he realized the things he did in his past weren't right. I enjoyed their relationship from the very first page, although I would have liked to have seen more of its growth. It seemed to progress quickly and jumped from one obstacle to the next. Some of the drama in the story was unique; I especially liked the basketball situation. It was extremely refreshing that this couple overcame their obstacles together. While this story wasn't my favorite of Smith’s, it was still a sweet new adult read.


Plain Jayne by Laura Drewry
ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley
Plain Jayne was such a sweet and innocent friends-to-lovers story, and I’m a sucker for those! Nick and Jayne have been friends since kindergarten, and no matter what happened in life they have stayed friends. It’s been years since Jayne has been home, but now she’s back for good to open up her grandmother’s book store and of course Nick is there to help her in every way he can. I got to really see their friendship and how much it meant to them, as well as seeing the love they had for one another before they even did. Jayne and Nick were both enjoyable characters, even when I wanted to shake some sense into them both for not seeing what was right in front of them. Plain Jayne has some very entertaining secondary characters as well and they make for some highly amusing scenes. It did take a while for Nick and Jayne to finally realize how perfect they were for each other, but to me that just made it all that more special. There were a few things I would have liked a little more explanation on, but that didn’t take away from my overall enjoyment of the story. Plain Jayne is nicely written with a cute and light story line. It was a pleasant change of pace for me.

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!