Danielle Reviews Ruthless People by J.J. McAvoy

To the outside world, they look like American Royalty, giving to charities, feeding the homeless, rebuilding the city. But behind closed doors is a constant battle for dominance between two Bosses, cultures, and hearts.

Ruthless People is a romantic crime fiction set in modern day Chicago, and follows the life and marriage of Melody Giovanni and Liam Callahan—rivals by blood and leaders through fear. Their marriage, arranged by their fathers in hopes to end years of bloodshed between the Irish and the Italians.

Liam believes he’s getting a simple-minded wife, one he can control, one who bends to his every need . . . the complete opposite of Melody. She knows exactly what type of man he is, and would rather die than give up the power she has spent her life building. 

The Mafia of the past has evolved, and with rival bosses gunning for them, Melody and Liam will have to learn to work as one to take down those who stand in their way.

1 Marriage x 2 Bosses = 3x the Chaos

*Warning: Due to bad language, graphic violence and sex this is for over-18's only* These are not mobsters with a heart of gold....
They do VERY bad things and will NOT change. They are criminals...murders.
If things like that bother you Ruthless People is not for you. You've been warned ;) 

Add to GOODREADS.
ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley

Review 

It's been a few days since I finished this one and I'm struggling with what to say about it. This book is so messed up! I mean, really, I wonder what type of person I am that I loved this one! It is so different than any other book out there! These characters are crazy, blood hungry psychopaths; I loved every minute of it. If you are looking for a sappy romance novel, keep searching. Ruthless People is just what the title says—RUTHLESS! Liam and Melody are badass! They are both blood thirsty, control freaks who have no problem taking out anyone and everyone who gets in their way of world dominance. 

“….I want you by my side and no one else’s. I want I want you to help me take down every fucker who stands in the way of a Callahan.’ 

This fast-paced, action-packed, mafia thriller takes you on the crazy journey of two very powerful mafia families joining as one. For years The Callahans (Irish) and The Giovannis (Italian) have been at war with one another. Years ago a contract was signed joining these two families as one, and now the time for the Liam and Melody to get married has come. Sounds simple right? Nothing is simple when it comes to the Mafia. Melody isn't some princess who is going to stand by wwhile Liam runs the empire! No, she is one of the most badass female characters I have ever read. She has no intention of standing down! 

"She was a ruthless savage, and if you cannot break a ruthless savage, you need to figure out how to tame them."

So, what does Liam do to take control? Well, there is no handling Melody. She is a beast! She has some serious issues. I'm scared of my mental state because I loved her; she is just fucking crazy! I mean that with all respect because the woman is just plain scary. At the same time, she does eventually show a softer side. I was blown away but the turn of events in this novel! Liam and Melody are both dominate and controlling but they have issues like everyone else! I'm not sure who I liked more. Liam is just as messed up as Melody, but he won me over with his arrogance. He is ruthless, scary and downright unpredictable! For someone who has no problem blowing off someone's head for saying the wrong thing, he is still extremely honorable and loyal when it comes to family. 

"You kill for family. You die for family. Because you can’t trust anyone else." 

Overall, this novel was a pleasant surprise. It was so much more than the crime ridden, erotica novel I was prepared for. In it's own way, this is a true love story. It's a messed up, over the top, crazy journey of love, devotion, honor and growth. I laughed, I teared up and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time! I loved Melody and Liam. The chemistry and compassion these two shared blew me away! The sex scenes were anything but missionary, and sexy as hell. The blood spilled had me cringing. The hardheaded Liam and Melody reminded me of War of the Roses, Soprano style. But the best surprise was the way this book had my heart aching and racing for the unexpected vulnerabilities each of these characters revealed. I can't wait until the next book! 5 Stars!

Purchase

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!