TB's Week In Review

What I Read This Week

Blue Notes by Carrie Lofty
I’m not even gonna lie, I bought this book the day it was released because of the cover. I thought the cover was adorable. So I started Blue Notes, not even reading the synopsis. I probably should have. I didn’t realize this was a billionaire story. Not that I don’t like them, I just wasn't expecting that, and they're just less believable to me. The prologue hooked me and made me super curious about Keeley Chambers. To begin with I really liked Keeley and her story, but somewhere along the way I lost the connection and by the time her story came full circle, I wasn’t that impressed. Then there’s Jude Villars. I liked him well enough; I just didn't feel as if I really knew him. There was great chemistry between the two but I felt their relationship was under-developed. By the time all the drama and angst were taking place it felt rushed. I did really enjoy the secondary characters and I’m curious to if they will be getting their own stories as well! For me, this was just a typical New Adult read, good but not impressive. Troubled girl, virgin, rich alpha guy, and a little drama and angst.

Flat-Out Celeste by Jessica Park
Brilliant. Absolutely perfect! I have never read two characters so perfectly matched as Celeste and Justin. I will admit it has been quite a while since reading Flat-Out Love; I was worried I had forgotten too much, but that wasn’t the case. Little bits of the backstory are woven in nicely to allow the first story to come back to me. Celeste is still the same quirky, smart, and funny girl I loved in Flat-Out Love, but now she is an eighteen year old high school senior getting ready to head to college. With that we follow Celeste on her struggle for acceptance from her peers, to making friends, and finding love. As well as finally accepting herself. Celeste and Justin have a love story that is beautifully eccentric and heartwarming. That is not the only love story in this story though; we also get to see things play out for Matt and Julie. Flat-Out Celeste is full of some much awesome; the complex characters, the clever dialogue, the enchanting story. Jessica Park has given us a delightful read that was so much more than I ever anticipated!
Perfect Kind of Trouble by Chelsea Fine
ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley 
I enjoyed Best Kind of Broken, the first in the Finding Fate series, but I believe I adored Perfect Kind of Trouble even more! We met both Daren Ackwood and Kayla Turner in Best Kind of Broken. I was curious about Daren, I felt then there was more to his story than his playboy persona. We got just enough of a glimpse of Kayla to make me wonder why she was in Copper Springs. Even though we met them in Best Kind of Broken, Perfect Kind of Trouble can easily be read as a standalone. Daren and Kayla are literally stuck together as they go on a scavenger hunt for an inheritance left to them. They go on quite an adventure and I loved every minute of it. The notes and the places they go was a well thought out plan and I found it very unique. Daren and Kayla think they have the other pegged, but as they work together to find the clues they realize just how wrong they were. I loved both of these characters, they're so much more complex than they seem in the beginning. This story takes place over a very short period of time, but I never felt their relationship moved too quickly. We are able to see their feelings change and grow through dual POVs. I really enjoy Chelsea Fine’s writing; it’s witty and easily readable. She created a story that’s sometimes serious and sad but it’s still incredibly fun, sexy and heartwarming. This was a great addition to the series and I look forward to the next book!
“You’re both inverted diamonds in the rough; polished on the outside, cracked and raw within. But priceless just the same.”

What I Plan to Read Next

Found By You by Victoria H. Smith

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!