TB's Week In Review

What I Read This Week

 Taint by S.L. Jennings
I loved the cover for Taint. I loved the synopsis for Taint. I couldn’t wait for it to go live to get my hands on it. Then I read it. It wasn’t anything like I was expecting. It’d been promoted to be this sexy, edgy, and risqué story. It wasn’t. Not in my opinion. I wanted to know that Justice Drake from the synopsis, but there were only glimpses of him. This was more of a love story, with a guy wanting a woman he can’t have. It was actually really sweet and cute at times. The idea behind Justice Drake was very entertaining; it just fell short for me. Although, I did enjoy that this book was all told through a guy’s POV. It was interesting to hear what Justice Drake thought of men, women, and sex. There was a twist at the end that was slightly surprising, but the ending was so rushed I ended up not being very impressed. Taint was an okay read, but the story wasn’t as different as I had expected. 

The Summer I Found You by Jolene Perry
ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley 
The Summer I Found You is a sweet story of diabetic Kate and one-armed veteran Aidan. Kate is struggling with a break-up and trying to forget she has a disease. Aidan is wounded from war and is dealing with demons of his own. They become a distraction for one another. I loved their chemistry and the realism of their first meeting and time spent together. Perry did a wonderful job portraying Kate. Her actions are believable for a seventeen year old girl; from the way pines for her ex to the way she tries to ignore her disease. I really liked Aidan’s character also. His disability was handled with grace. This book deals with some sensitive issues and I think they were addressed well, although I would have enjoyed had they been explored just a bit more. I liked this story; it was well written and well-paced. While I think it could have been fleshed out a bit, overall The Summer I Found You is a good, quick YA/NA read.
Best Kind of Broken by Chelsea Fine
ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley 
I’m a sucker for stories about childhood friends, so it’s no surprise this book worked for me. Pixie and Levi are sharing close quarters over the summer, making things extremely awkward due to the tragedy sitting between them. The tension, unease, and chemistry between them was plausible from the get-go. They are both riddled with guilt and heartache and constantly pushing the other away. Every step forward turned into two steps back. Their history and the tragedy was unfolded slowly keeping me interested. Although, none of it was very surprising. In fact, the majority of the story was very predictable, but it was the best kind of predictable. The characters and their actions made this book so enjoyable. I loved Pixie and I loved Levi. I loved the supporting characters. While Best Kind of Broken is sad and heartbreaking, it’s also fun and flirty. It’s a perfect balance of sweet, sexy, and emotional. I adored Chelsea Fine’s writing and can’t wait to read more of her work.
The Mean Girl Apologies by Stephanie Monahan
ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley
Natalie is back home, back with the same friends from high school when she hears Jack Moreland’s song on the radio. A song about her. I couldn’t relate to Natalie and what she was going through. I mean, it’s her fault she was a mean girl. I never once felt bad for the situations she was in with her friends and Jack. Then there’s Jack, he was barely even a character although the entire story basically revolved around him. He was the catalyst for Natalie changing. The most we saw of Jack is in the chapters of the past, but even then I didn't feel the love between them. There was very little chemistry between the two, so the love story didn't work for me. As someone that’s pretty much at the same point in life and the same age as Natalie, she just seemed immature, which made it difficult for me to connect with her or the story. On a positive note the writing flowed smoothly between past and present. And it was nice seeing Natalie finally grow up towards the end. The Mean Girl Apologies wasn't a bad book, it just wasn't for me.

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!