Kathy Reviews The Casual Rule by AC Netzel


Julia Conti is living the dream in New York City. She has a job she loves in publishing and shares an apartment in the Village with her lifelong best friend, Allie. Following a bad break-up, Julia swears off of men and relationships, until she meets Ben Martin, an up and coming author who is smart, sexy and very easy on the eyes. Fueled by their mutual attraction, close working relationship and fear of relationships, Julia and Ben embark on a purely physical affair, following the Casual Rule. As they bring each other further into their lives, their casual status blurs. Can she keep sex and love separate or will feelings take hold and Julia get her heart broken again?
A little sweet, a little smutty, a little snarky.
Add to GOODREADS.

Review

Julia Conti has sworn off men. Her last relationship ended badly and she isn't interested in finding a new one. She has a great job as an assistant editor for a publishing house and an awesome apartment in the Village that she shares with her best friend, Allie. She definitely doesn't need a man to make her happy.

"I know BOB would never betray my heart. He seems quite taken with me; he's hard for me all the time after all, and he lives rent free in my nightstand drawer. It's a win-win for both of us."

When Allie convinces Julia to go man-hunting at Central Park she isn't prepared for meeting heartthrob Ben Martin. She definitely isn't prepared when said heartthrob is an author whose manuscript she is editing. A "friends with benefits" arrangement is sounding very attractive all of a sudden.

"I run into my bedroom. I have to look hot. I strip off my work clothes and ransack the pile of clean clothes on my floor, or as Allie calls it, my floordrobe."

"I squeeze into my super tight skinny jeans. I have to jump up and down to shimmy them over my hips, suck in my stomach to zip them up and squat a few times to loosen up the denim. I need to lay off the cupcakes."

Neither Julia nor Ben are prepared for the instant attraction they have. Not to mention their budding feelings. Julia has obviously been burned before and Ben has some sort of commitment issue. In the meantime they have sex. A lot of steamy sex! Julia was a hilarious character. Practically every page had a laugh. She was easy to identify with and is a character you can just see yourself being friends with. Julia's family was endearing and her friends quirky. Ben was plenty sexy, although I would have liked a bit more character development with him. My only other complaint is that any sort of substance to their relationship didn't happen until the very end. But then I guess that mirrored their relationship in a way, so it worked.

"I want to be a part of your life. Everyday. I want to call you because I miss hearing your voice. I want to hold your hand and take long strolls through Central Park in the spring. I want to make out with you under the boardwalk at Seaside Heights and win you ugly crane game prizes. I want to laugh with you, cry with you... love you."

Overall, If you're looking for a light and fun romantic comedy with plenty of laughs you are sure to enjoy The Casual Rule! It would make the perfect beach read! 4 Stars!

Purchase



No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!