Danielle's Mad Libs Review of Scoring Wilder by R.S. Grey



What started out as a joke— seduce Coach Wilder—soon became a goal she had to score.

With Olympic tryouts on the horizon, the last thing nineteen-year-old Kinsley Bryant needs to add to her plate is Liam Wilder. He's a professional soccer player, America's favorite bad-boy, and has all the qualities of a skilled panty-dropper.
• A face that makes girls weep – check.
• Abs that can shred Parmesan cheese (the expensive kind) – check.
• Enough confidence to shift the earth’s gravitational pull – double check.
Not to mention Liam is strictly off limits . Forbidden. Her coaches have made that perfectly clear. (i.e. “Score with Coach Wilder anywhere other than the field and you’ll be cut from the team faster than you can count his tattoos.”) But that just makes him all the more enticing…Besides, Kinsley's already counted the visible ones, and she is not one to leave a project unfinished.
Kinsley tries to play the game her way as they navigate through forbidden territory, but Liam is determined to teach her a whole new definition for the term “team bonding.”

A fun & sexy New Adult Romance (age 17+)
Add to GOODREADS.
ARC provided by author 

Mad Libs Review

Most of the summer I find myself reading poolside while the kids are squawking and flapping around all afternoon. Between smashing the gallinippers attacking me, and looking up when the kids yell, “watch this,” I need something light and easy to read. Scoring Wilder was a great choice. It wasn’t overly dramatic but it was humorous and held my attention. I love the way RS Grey writes, her words flow easily and her dialogue comes across natural. Kinsley was determined, witty, and at times immature just like any 19 year old should be. Her inner dialogue was hilarious. When you add in her interactions with her friends, I found myself laughing with a gargantuan smile on my face throughout most of the book. Sometimes though, they seemed to be trying too hard for funny, making me want to climb into the book, find a kumquat tree, and start launching them at their heads. 


Scoring Wilder reminded me a little bit of the movie Mean Girls with the addition of a forbidden romance. Kinsley is a talented soccer player starting her freshman year of college. She has big dreams of becoming an Olympian. After being screwed over by her two previous boyfriends, she decides that boys suck and she should remain focused solely on soccer. Sounds like a good plan, right? Well, it would have been until Liam Wilder shows interest in her! When you add in a bunch of vindictive seniors, her life becomes even more complicated and it starts to look like her Olympic career is irrevocably doomed! 

Coach/player fraternization is off Limits! Reformed bad boy and professional soccer player, Liam Wilder, knows this and tries to fight his insatiable desire for Kinsley lest he put both of their careers at risk. Of course, this definitely creates loads of sexual tension between the two. I just wish we would have seen a little more of the “playboy” Liam that was described. He is almost too perfect with his chivalrous ways and sweet talking. I wanted to see some of his faults. Without that, I still liked him though a found myself saying, Yum. I enjoyed his determination to make a relationship with Kinsley happen. He has ingenious ideas to help the two spend time together, leading to a covert relationship. Stolen touches and secret rendezvous have them sneaking out for late night meetings in the twilight; don’t worry, it’s completely without the ominous presence of a vampirewerewolf, or shifter of any kind. I really enjoyed this part of the book. I loved the tension and sneaking around. I just had to laugh about some of the stupid and audacious decisions the two make. Secrets are always revealed though! When things start to fall apart, will Liam do the right thing and shield Kinsley from the consequences or will the actions of others end both of their careers? Well, you will have to read it to find out! 

Overall, I enjoyed this one. It was the perfect book for in-between my normal reads featuring more intense or cataclysmic plots. I wish the end had been more of build up and a little more drama. Don’t get me wrong, I did appreciate that it was anticlimactic, but I felt like everything was resolved too quickly. Regardless, RS Grey is very talented and I look forward to reading more of her work. 

Purchase

2 comments

All comments welcome!