Danielle's Week in Review

What I Read This Week

Unbeloved by Madeline Sheehan
Madeline Sheehan has written one of my favorite MC series and I was so excited to get my hands on this book. In my opinion, she has set the standard when it comes to this genre. Her characters are raw and gritty, yet they have weaseled their way into my heart. Their stories aren't those of fantasies and fairy tales but they are honest to god some of the best love stories I have read. 
Dorothy, Jase, and Hawk aren't new characters. Any fan of this series knows their story and the struggles they have faced up to this point. What we have never given though, was their perspective. Even though some of this book was things I already knew, I appreciated looking at it from a different vantage point. The whole time I read Unbeloved I wanted to devour it but at the same time I wanted to savor every last word. When I finished, I had a strong desire to reread the previous books because I was reminded why I loved them so much. What I wasn't expecting was a totally different type of story. As I sit here trying to think of what to say without any spoilers, I'm at a loss. Honestly, I'm not sure if this is my favorite of the series so far or my least. This book was so much more emotional than I expected. It brought so much closure. This is a book about love, life, loss and sacrifices. Life isn't always perfect and the actions we make determine our destiny. So instead of writing about the things I like and didn't like about the book, I'm just going to leave you my favorite quote. This really is a book you need to read and experience on your own. 
"This isn't just my story, the story of a broken woman who lost her way. It's also the story of my children, the men I loved, and the friends who were more family to me than my own. This is the story of us all, all our fates intertwined. And for that reason alone, pain and death be damned, I wouldn't change a thing." -Dorothy

Lock & Key by Cat Porter
I'm not sure where this one came from. After I finished Unbeloved, I still had an itch for a biker book when I stumbled on a review from another blogger. Honestly, they are one of my favorite blogs so when they said they enjoyed this one I just one clicked without even reading the sample. After only a few pages I was hooked. This is a different type of MC book. Lately it has felt like the market has been flooded with books in this genre. Some I have really enjoyed and others just didn't work for me. Lock & Key was a pleasant surprise. I loved that the characters were older and the story was unique and well written. I did find a few discrepancies with the timeline and the middle dragged just a little, but other than that I really enjoyed this one making it a 4 star book for me. 
This isn't an instant love story. Instead, it is a story about life and the struggles that go along with love. At the age of 42, Grace has experienced love and loss. Fifteen years ago her life fell apart and she has been drifting around since then. When life once again deals out a shitty hand, Grace finds herself right back at the place where her world fell apart. She isn't looking for love but it sneaks up on her. Miller is everything Grace has been running from. His presence in her life and being home brings out ghosts that have haunted her over the years. 

“No more ghosts, new dreams. Get on with joy…” 

Grace is strong and mature though. When it comes time to face her past she does just that. I really enjoyed the way this book was written. Through flashbacks you really get a good grasp on Grace and her life. My emotions were all over the place with this one. I felt her happiness as she recalls the days when she felt like she had everything. I cried and my heart broke for her when she talks about when it was all taken away. 

“Truth is a painful sword. It cuts deep and stings, but the pain evaporates, the blood dries, and in the place of such savagery is a gleaming absolution and an absolute purity, It’s blinding. It hurts. And it is utterly beautiful.” 

When you add in a sexy alpha biker like Miller I was in heaven. This book had so many twists and turns and held my attention the whole time. I loved the little elements of surprise and and other times I wanted to throw my kindle across the room. If you are looking for a MC book, I recommend this one. It isn't the usually twenty something bikers with filthy mouths, instead it's a story of love and loss and finding happiness again. Cat Porter is an author I'll be keeping an eye out for her next book. 

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!