Danielle's Week in Review

What I read last week

Fast Track by Julie Garwood
Available July 29, 2014
ARC provided by publisher via Netgalley
Fast Track is book #12 in Julie Garwood’s Buchanan-Renard series. It can be read as a stand-alone, from what I hear you’re more likely to appreciate it more if you have read the previous books in the series. That is where I messed up. Since this is a new series for me I wasn't as connected to the characters as fans who have read several of the other books probably will be. The synopsis grabbed my attention and I thought this was going to be a good one but I finished wanting more. From the synopsis I knew that Cordelia had a long time crush on her best friend's older brother, Aiden. Aiden barely knows she exist though. Things heat up between the two when their lives are put at risk after Aiden pisses off a powerful congressman. Yeah, well that is where I'm confused. I thought this was going to be more of a mystery with a little bit of action. Sure, it was a little suspenseful but the story is more about Cordelia and her mother than the congressman. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the book but it wasn't what I expected. It is well written, the plot is entertaining and kept my attention, but the story didn't develop as well as I would have liked and I felt like the romance portion was mediocre. 

A Deadly Business by Lis Wiehl
ARC provided by publisher via Netgalley
A Deadly Business is the follow up novel to A Matter of Trust by Lis Wiehl. I had not read the first book in the series but this one can easily be read as a stand-alone. It was easy to pick up where the previous book left off and I never felt like I was missing anything having not read it. This book is about a prosecutor for Seattle's Violent Crimes Unit, Mia Quinn. This story is about her life and how she is dealing with balancing work and her two children after the death of her late husband, Scott. Mia loved her husband but she is quickly learning he isn't the man she thought he was. In this quick-paced thriller, Mia learns that Scott may have been murdered. If that isn't enough of a shook, she learns that other than massive debt he also left behind secrets she never saw coming. I loved the suspense in this one. My heart broke for Mia as she struggles to keep control of her feelings and life. I really liked the side story about the case she is taking on at work. This book is several small stories that flow together and keep you interested until the last page. I really enjoyed how detailed and well written it was. What I didn't like, was that the synopsis on Goodreads leads you to believe there is a growing attraction between Mia and the homicide detective, Charlie. I never felt any romance in this one. There is a little attraction between Mia and another lawyer but this is a mystery. Which is fine. I needed a break from what I normally read. I just wish the synopsis on Goodreads would have been updated as it appears they have done on Amazon when the book was released. Overall, this is a well-written story that held my attention. It wasn't what I thought it was going to be, but still a good read.

My Hunger (Inside Out #3.2) by Lisa Renee Jones
ARC provided by publisher via Netgalley
I love this series! The first three books blew me away and kept me on the edge of my seat, and the follow up novellas are a bonus! I was so excited to read this novella! This is such an intriguing story! My Hunger is a follow up to Master Undone. In My Hunger you get Mark's POV. Let me say, I know that Mark is a dark complex man but in this short story you really get a better understanding about where his head is and see another side of him. After learning of the death of Rebecca, Mark is left dealing with his conflicted feelings and guilt. If that isn't enough to take, his mother is sick and his business is suffering from the drama surrounding him. This dominate man is slowly losing control and he doesn't know what to do about all of it. To top things off he can't quit thinking about his New York gallery manager, Crystal. Crystal is everything Mark wants to avoid. She doesn't appear to have a submissive bone in her body. Mark can't stay away though. It was nice to see Mark step out of his comfort zone. Lisa Renee Jones does a good job showing why Mark is struggling at this point in his life. Even though it is short, you really get a good understanding of his character and what is eating away at him. If you are a fan of the series, make sure you pick this one up! 

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!