Danielle's Week in Review

What I read this week

Devil's Game by Joanna Wylde
Devil's Game is the third book in the Reapers Motorcycle series. If you love biker books and haven't read them, I highly recommend you pick them up. This series isn't as dark and gritty as some of my other favorites but Joanna Wylde takes you on one hell of a ride and her characters have a way of coming alive. I really enjoyed this one but I have to say I think it is my least favorite of the series so far. I'm not sure why; I loved the characters I just felt like something was missing. I was really hoping to be taken on another crazy journey but that didn't really happen. The first part of the book is actually the other side of the story, about the drama that went down in the previous book. I didn't feel like I had read it and it wasn't just a re-telling, but it wasn't as exciting this time around. I enjoyed seeing and understanding the connection Hunter and Em share, but for me it was a little slow moving. The second part of the book was my favorite. Liam "Hunter" Blake was a pleasant surprise. He isn't a Reaper; he is part of the enemy, Devil's Jacks. I enjoyed getting inside his head and learning more about him. He is so much more than the monster I thought he was going to be. He is actually pretty soft and caring for a biker. Yes, he is still a bossy asshole but he is also loyal and vulnerable underneath all that hard exterior. He is a man who fights for what he wants and that is exactly the type of man Em needs. Em is the daughter of Picnic, the president of the Reapers. She may have grown up around this rowdy group of guys but she has been protected and sheltered by her father and the club. She is literally off limits. Her father wants her by his side and she is treated and protected like a princess. Joanna does a great job describing and showing why Em is the way she is. The transformation Em's character makes in this book was exciting to read. She is tired of living by the rules and wants a life of her own. This book reminded me of a biker version of Romeo and Juliet. Although it wasn't my favorite in the series, I loved every minute of it and didn't want it to end. I have a feeling Picnic's story, which is the next book, is going to be a fave for me! Once again Joanna delivered and she is sitting on my list of favorite biker authors! 4 Stars 

One Ride (The Hellions Ride #1) by Chelsea Camaron
Like I have said I'm a whore when it comes to these bikers. I can't get enough. The only problem I have is it seems like the market is flooded with them now. I must have downloaded 7 or 8 samples before I settled on this one. I'm really picky when it comes to this genre. Typically I like the darker, gritty books. I don't want a biker who is sweet and talks politely. I enjoy the brotherhood and the club aspect, and the more dangerous the better! I want to read about the crazy shit that goes down in the clubs. I want my bikers rough around the edges, foul-mouthed and all alpha male. At the same time, I love a biker that has a softer side when it comes to his woman. They need to treat their old lady with respect and not like a club whore. One Ride had all of those things but it felt like it was missing something. I wanted a little more action with the club and a little more danger. It is a good love story though. I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to reading the second book in the series.

One Ride has been out for a while. I think at one time I actually read the sample but decided not to read it for one reason or another. Since then, it looks like it has undergone some changes, a new cover and re-editing. I was pleasantly surprised by this one. It may not be as dark and gritty as I normally like but it held my interest. At first I was worried this was going to be another insta-love but it was actually a well-developed love story. Doll is the daughter of Roundman, Hellions Club President. Roundman has made it well known that his Doll is off limits. Doll isn't like some of the heroines I have read about in other biker books. She may be off limits but she isn't a pushover. Her father may be able to shelter her and keep the brothers away, but she has had a life away from the club. She just isn't sure what she wants out of life. Does she want a white picket fence or to be on the back of a bike? The one thing she does know though is that Tripp is one fine man! When shit goes down with the club, she is forced into a situation that puts her in the protection of Talon " Tripp" Crews. The lust Doll has for Tripp isn't one sided. The chemistry that Doll and Tripp share is hot! There are several very sexy scenes in this book! There are also a few scenes where I wanted to shake Tripp and tell him what a dumb fuck he is! Overall, I really enjoyed this one. Some more action and interaction in the biker world would have made me love it, but it is a good story. 3.5-4 Stars

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!