TB's Week In Review

What I Read This Week

Last Second Chance by Caisey Quinn
ARC provided by author
"Some sins are worth it."
Caisey Quinn knows how to write a good book. One that makes your heart ache and you feel for the characters. Quinn has a way with words; they seem to flow effortlessly, pulling you into the story. LSC was no different. Van Ransom is a rock star, but he’s gone down the wrong road of drugs and alcohol. The record label is making him get his act together by sending him to Second Chance Ranch rehab facility. Stella Jo Chandler is fresh out of college with a new job at Second Chance Ranch, where she finally feels needed. He’s broken and she’s empty. I loved these two; separately and together. They both have problems but this makes them extremely realistic characters. There’s a connection between them from the beginning.  I loved how they seemed to heal one another over time as they helped the other fight their demons. Their chemistry is HOT HOT HOT. Quinn definitely knocked up the steam factor in this one. As much as I loved the love story in this book, I was a bit underwhelmed with Van’s addictions. I never felt a connection to his battle. We know why he had problems and that was truly heartbreaking, but for this to have been about addictions, it seemed glossed over. The story focuses more on the growing relationship of Van and Stella. Overall, Last Second Chance was a thoroughly enjoyable read. It’s heartbreaking and emotional, while extremely witty and fun at times too. 
"He felt it the moment it happened. A piece of her bright, shiny soul slipped away from her, lodging itself onto his black one."
What Goes on Tour by Claire Boston
ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley
The cover of this one definitely declares it’s a rock star story, but it was unlike any other I’ve ever read. It is a cute, light, and clean read. Kent isn’t your typical womanizing rock star, and he's clearly drawn a line between his business and personal life. At home, he’s Adrian, just an uncle trying to do his best by his niece. Most of the story revolves around her. Not his career. Libby is a struggling author that needs a job to get by until she finishes her next book. Lucky for her Adrian needs a nanny. What Goes on Tour is nicely paced and I enjoyed the story line. It’s more of a family take on the lifestyle, instead of a partying rock star. The characters are likeable and the drama isn’t overdone, it worked for the story. There were a few inconsistencies here and there in the dialogue, but nothing so great that it couldn't be looked over to enjoy the sweetness of this story. 
Out of Tune by Michelle D. Argyle
ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley
I’m just not sure how I feel about this book. Did I like it? Well, I liked the idea of it. I liked some of the characters. I liked some of the story line. The other parts that I didn't like, I didn't dislike. They just fell flat for me and underdeveloped. Maggie is the twenty year old daughter of country music stars. All she wants to do is sing. But she can’t sing, not well anyways. The idea behind it was entertaining; I thought the focus would be on her journey of her dream. It was not, not completely. There were so many other things going on in this book; the drama with her parents, then Cole's secrets. There were things that just didn't make a lot of sense to me or seemed unnecessary, as if to only add drama. I would have preferred less drama and instead that some of the twists and ideas were better developed. I did really like how the story ended up playing out and how we saw Maggie’s dream change. 

What I'm Reading Soon



Honor's Lark by Rachel L. Hamm

Where There's Smoke by Elizabeth Lee

2 comments

  1. I am really intrigued by the idea of a rock star book that's more about dealing with all the non-rock star stuff while you're also a rock star. Will have to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really loved that aspect of the book! I still definitely knew he was a rock star by the drama that took place and the fact he's on tour, but it was nice that the story wasn't all about that! :)

      Thanks so much for reading and commenting! <3

      Delete

All comments welcome!