TB Reviews HONOR'S LARK by Rachel L. Hamm


In a world where everyone is assigned a lifemate at birth by the Gods, thirty year-old Honor is still looking for hers. When her new boss, Sedric, points out that her mate probably died before they met, Honor embarks on a quest for closure. She needs to know who her mate was and what he was like so she can move on with her life.

Sedric is determined to help Honor, because he understands the emptiness she's feeling. As they search for Honor's lifemate and get to know each other, they start to wonder if the only kind of love is that which is fated and if there really is only one person for everyone.

Add to GOODREADS.
ARC provided by author

Review

What a charming and unique novel! I’m unsure on how to correctly describe Honor’s Lark. It’s fantasy, but it’s such a realistic world and so similar to our own. There’s a love story, but that’s not the main focus. It is a tale of finding one’s own happiness beyond what the norm is. 

“You don’t know what the future holds for you. You don’t have a path laid out like your friends do. It is okay to be scared. Do not let the fear prevent you from living.”

Honor has yet to find the lifemate fated to her by the Gods, which has made her a bit bitter and jealous of those happy around her. I have to say, I really loved Honor. Her honesty, snark, and sarcasm were refreshing. She’s selfish and a liar; she has faults but she owns them, making her likable even on her worst days. I enjoyed being able to see the gradual change in Honor as she learns about her lifemate and future and comes to new conclusions about larks, love, and happiness.

“I may be a liar, but I usually give myself away eventually. That makes it better somehow, I think.”

“I dislike happiness when it’s ignorant or vapid. Or, if I’m being completely honest, when it reminds me of what I can’t have.”

Sedric is Honor’s new boss. He recognizes a sadness in Honor that’s familiar to his own. He makes Honor realize her mate could be dead and offers to help her find the closure she’s looking for. I adore Sedric. The support he gave Honor through it all and the way he pushed her to look beyond what she thought was the only future she had, secured my love for him. Their relationship starts as friendship and is wonderfully and slowly progressed to more.

“He was everything I disliked about people, but I didn’t dislike him.”

Honor’s Lark has a strong and perfectly paced plot. It's full of great characters that bring so much to the story. I'm interested to learn more about a particular few as the series progresses. Rachel L. Hamm has written a wonderfully insightful novel about friendship, love, and happiness. I can't wait to read more of this series and more of Hamm's work.

Purchase

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!