Lea's Week In Review

What I Read This Week:

Every Part of You: Takes Me
By Megan Hart
I seriously couldn't wait to get my hands on this conclusion. After reading the other four installments in this serial series, I was anxious to see how things were going to turn out for Simone and Elliot. The other parts of their story thus far had been sexy, slightly kinky, and even a bit sweet. I guess I expected more of the same at the end. All of those elements were present but not in the ways I had anticipated. The ending did give me closure, as I received answers to the questions that had me curious throughout Elliot and Simone's story, but I still felt disappointed in this segment as a whole. Overall, I would still recommend the series, which is now available in one book, if you are looking for a quick, sexy read.
GOODREADS/AMAZON/NOOK

Where You'll Find Me
By Erin Fletcher
Hanley is my kind of girl. She drinks and parties away her troubles. Well, maybe not away, but enough to cover them up momentarily. 
 "Being sober is overrated. Terrible way to live."
She's a high school junior who lost someone close to her two years prior, and she hasn't healed. Not even a little bit. Then she meets a boy named Nate, and somehow starts slowly crawling along the right path. Of course, Nate has his own problems; I mean he is living in her garage and all. This book dealt with a lot of hard issues—drinking, homelessness, disease, and even more that I cannot list without giving too much of the plot away. 
"Lies are easy. I've been telling them for two years. It's the truth that hurts, and I see that hurt in Nate."
I really loved the interaction between Nate and Hadley, and even her and her friends and sister. They behaved like normal teenagers, to me at least, meaning stuff was messed up and they dealt with it by rebelling and partying, getting themselves deeper into situations they were not yet mature enough to handle. I had no problem relating to anyone in the book, even her absentee yet overprotective parents.
My only issue with it was the speed and ease with which some really huge problems were wrapped up. It is all explained away, so I wasn't left wondering "How did they manage that?" or anything, but it didn't feel feasible. Generally, I don't hold that against a book unless it's a huge plot issue. There were also a few minor details that I would still like to know the answers to, but nothing I can't make my own assumptions about. 
Overall, the story was slightly heartbreaking and genuine, a sweet, enjoyable read that I believe mature YA fans will love!

 Five Ways to Fall
By K.A. Tucker
Five Ways to Fall was pretty freaking funny, even though the premise of the book feels a bit like many others I have read. Reese is a recently divorced and brokenhearted woman, and Ben is the typical man-whore, intent on never settling down. 
 "When you avoid making commitments involving signatures and precious metal and mixed DNA, there's no collateral damage."
—Ben
 Seems very familiar, yes, but there are many aspects of this book that make it stand out and leave a lasting impression. I felt really bad for Reese and everything she had gone through before her first meeting with Ben in Cancun, which was hysterical. Best most-embarrassing-almost-one-night-stand story, ever. Of course, after returning home their paths cross again and that is where the real fun begins.
I love how the two pair up, even just to spite certain jerkfaces. The ease with which they almost instinctively banded together was perfect for the tempo of their story. Reese and Ben's banter is snarky and wickedly sexy, and you can definitely feel their chemistry. Some of the revenge shenanigans that they got up to had me cracking up, specifically the paintball scene. 
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, and all. 
However, it wasn't all fun and games. Told in dual POVs, we quickly realize there are things from their pasts overshadowing their growth and the possibility of a future together. The scenes spent at Ben's family home and orange groves were some of my favorite, and his mother was amazing. A very strong character, secondary as she was, and I think Tucker wrote the worn down, yet still loving, witty, and manipulative mom perfectly. 
 This was my first book by the author, and I really liked it a lot. I know, I know, I should have read at least the companions to this story first, especially since I already own them. But I requested this from Netgalley and got it, meaning I must read it immediately. I am so glad I did, and will definitely be checking out the rest of the books as soon as possible.

What I'm Reading:

Not Quite Dead
By Lyla Payne
I am about halfway through and loving this so far! 

What I Wanna Read:

Fangirl
By Rainbow Rowell

Spirits and Spells
By Hollie Westring

LOVING MR. DANIELS 
By Brittainy C. Cherry

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!