Teri Beth's Week In Review

What I Read This Week

Searching for Beautiful by Nyrae Dawn
 ARC provided by publishers via NetGalley 

This story was beautiful. It was devastating and heartbreaking. But beautiful and full of hope at the same time. Brynn had gone through so much to be only 16. She lost her mother, her boyfriend turned out to be a liar, she lost a baby, and she lost her passion. I was utterly heartbroken for this girl. At 16, that’s a lot to deal with and Dawn really expresses Brynn’s emotions well. I loved the way the story is told between Before and Now, it really lets the readers see difference in Brynn and how everything has affected her. It also allows you to go on the journey with Brynn, as she takes her life back, with the help of Christian, Brenda, Emery, and sometimes her dad. Once again, Dawn has made me fall in love with her writing, her flawed characters, and the heartfelt messages in this story. 
“I’m not sure anyone can really save someone else. We have to do it ourselves.” 


Divergent by Veronica Roth 
EEP! (<- don’t judge me for that.) After watching the movie trailer for Divergent (hello Theo James!) and becoming more intrigued than ever with this book, I knew I had to read it before I saw the movie. I’m so glad I did! I loved it. Tris is awesome, Four is, well, he’s awesome too. I thoroughly enjoyed this action-packed novel, even though at times it was somewhat predictable. Now I’m so ready for the movie and I can’t wait to see what happens in Insurgent! I highly recommend this one for any Hunger Games fan. - 4 stars. 

 
Branded by Abi Ketner & Missy Kalicicki
After reading Divergent, I wanted something else like it, another dystopian novel or anything other than contemporary romance. I got something different with Branded. I really like the idea behind this story and the world Lexi lives in. The Commander running everything and the accused become sinners, branded and sent to the Hole to live. The entire concept was very intriguing, I just felt as if it weren’t developed enough at times. I had questions that weren’t answered when it came to the rules they had to follow, how things came to be, and even everyday things that made me curious. Lexi Hamilton was an interesting character. At times I liked her and other times I didn’t. She seemed a bit weak for the majority of the book, but then she finally showed her true strength towards the end of the story. Cole is her guard. Nothing good can come from loving a sinner. He’s sweet and a bit of a mystery to me, I feel like I didn’t get to know him very well. I never felt a strong connection to either or their relationship. Zeus was my favorite character in the book! Even without the strong connection between the characters I was fully invested in the story to see how things would pan out and I was not disappointed! The last 10% of the book was action-packed, I couldn’t put my kindle down! Ketner and Kalicicki did a good job with describing the Hole and everything that was happening, there were times I felt like puking right along with Lexi at the gore. Branded is a good dystopian book. I liked it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a book in that genre! – 3 stars

Shattered Veil by Tracy E. Banghart 
 ARC provided by publishers via NetGalley
In a weird way, I feel as if I just read a piece of history re-told in a future dystopian/sci-fi setting. It was so cool! I loved Shattered Veil; it has a strong heroine, a solid plot, and a touch of romance. And it was just so good! I liked Aris straight from the get-go, even if she did sneak into the military for the wrong reasons. Her dominion is at war with another; her boyfriend is Selected Military, which messes up their plans of being Promised. Aris wants to fly and follow after Calix and the only way to do that is to be disguised as a man in the military. But the journey Aris goes on to find Calix becomes so much more than just what she wants. I loved the seamless transition of her feelings. Banghart did a wonderful job with the characters and portraying their emotions. The story is written beautifully through Aris’s eyes as well as the Ward’s of two dominions. The happenings in this book kept me glued to the pages; I couldn’t wait to see what would take place next. While this book is set in a different time and place it really relates to all war situations and the way it changes people. I can't wait to read the next in the series and more from this talented author!

What I'm Reading Now

 Sing Sweet Nightingale by Erica Cameron
I'm about to start this one! I'm nervous!

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!