Six Degrees of Lives and Breathes: MAYBE SOMEDAY BY COLLEEN HOOVER


Six highly opinionated ladies that love to read make up this wonderful blog; six ladies who have varying ideas of what makes a book amazing and what causes a book to suck. Sure, sometimes we agree, but most of the time, we do not.
So, we decided, what better way is there to exhibit this than to all read and review the SAME book? And that is exactly what we did, and will try to do at least once a month from here on out.
The six of us were all lucky enough to get Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover from Netgalley. After the confetti settled and everyone sobered up, five of us immediately dropped everything we were doing to dive in, and our CoHo virgin Miss Angela followed suit. What better way could there be to kick off this new segment? It was truly awesome to have a built-in support group on this journey, and there were many…umm…. heated discussions along the way.Let’s just say, it’s a good thing we love each other more than our books.
There are six of us so this will be a LONG but SPOILER FREE review. It might sound crazy, or like a bunch of rambling, or it might come across pretty fucking kickass. Judge for yourself, but you have been forewarned. 


Lea Says: You know how some writers are just expected to deliver awesomeness? I have a short list of authors that I have complete faith in, who I just know will be able to weave a beautiful story that will make me feel all sorts of things, both good and bad. The problem with that is, I am also more critical of such authors. I’m almost like one of those jerks that go into a restaurant and put down the tip before the service even starts. Then they proceed to tell the poor, hardworking server that they will remove a dollar for each issue they encounter. Unfair? Totally. Really, having high expectations can sometimes lead to a bigger letdown. Of course, such was not the case here.

Teri Beth Says: I doubt Colleen Hoover could write a bad book even if she tried. Her words draw you in and make you fall in love with her characters, with their wit, humor, and their heart. Her stories are always one of a kind; her characters unique and different. 

Danielle Says: I finished Maybe Someday a few days ago and the more I think about it the more I fall in love. Ridge and Sydney’s story is such a beautiful one. Like all of Colleen Hoover’s books, this is not a simple love story. It is unique, well written, and devastatingly beautiful. There is nothing else out there to compare it to; yes, at times, the plot reminded me of other books but the story stands out on its own, making it truly special.

Kathy Says: I started reading this with no expectations. I purposefully didn’t read any teasers or press because I wanted to experience the magic of Colleen Hoover in its purest form, which paid off when a big plot twist was revealed fairly early. Holy guacamole, I did not see that coming! I don't want to spoil it...but it's something that changes the entire book.

Julie Says: The twist shocked me but made for such a wonderfully written book. It was certainly not anything I was expecting, but I think that’s why this novel really stands out from any other I’ve read. The main characters, Sydney and Ridge, are brought together through the most unusual of circumstances and this made for such a beautiful story.

Angela Says: This is supposed to be about Sydney, a twenty-two-year-old college student who finds out her boyfriend of two years is cheating on her with her best friend and roommate. She has been flirting via text message with a hot guy across the apartment complex for a few weeks, and he takes her in after she confronts the cheating boyfriend. He doesn’t really see her in a romantic way because he has a girlfriend of five years, Maggie. He also has two other roommates, Bridgett and Warren. Ridge is a musician, a songwriter with writer’s block, and he thinks Sydney is his muse.

Teri Beth Says: One of my favorite things about this book was the writing of music. I loved the times Ridge and Sydney worked together to write beautiful lyrics to great music. I had listened to the soundtrack to the book before reading it, but listening to it while reading the story meant so much more. It was an amazing experience to know what and how those songs were created.

Lea Says: I absolutely loved witnessing the way they made music together. I especially enjoyed how much Ridge liked Sydney's singing, and the mounting tension between the two during their sessions. Unlike some of the girls, I live for the angst; the scary, sickening feeling that runs through my body exhilarates me as opposed to stressing me out.  And there was plenty of that here. As far as characters, I was a huge Warren fan. He was hilarious and had me thinking for half the book, "What is up with this blue dress, and where in the hell can I get one?" Sydney was a little frustrating at times. I kind of wished she would get herself together a bit more than she did, but for the most part, I felt for her. Ridge, oh Ridge, has me saying "when, when, when." I really am in the minority here as far as Ridge is concerned. I never felt any hatred toward him. Sure, he upset me, but I felt so bad for him. The little bits of vulnerability that he leaked were enough to fill any holes in his character, for me at least. I got him. I understood his actions and behavior, more so than Sydney's, that's for sure.

Danielle Says: Ridge was one of the most complex characters I have read about in a long time. To be honest, when I first finished the book I wasn’t even sure I liked him. I remember telling the girls that I never fell in love with him. The more we talked and the more I thought about it, the quicker I realized that was far from the truth. Ridge stirred up emotions in me that most other characters fail to. Sure, the majority of the book I wanted to slap the shit out of him, but then there were times that my heart broke for him. I may have to pick this book up again to see how much more I can get out of it.

Teri Beth Says: I loved this story, but part of me wanted to hate it. I, too, loved Ridge and I hated him. I loved Sydney but I wanted to shake her at certain times. I just didn’t know what to feel half of the time. Was it okay to root for them? Should I not? I wasn’t sure what the right thing to do was. Granted, I don’t feel in their situation that there was a definite right and wrong. Being able to be in both of their heads and experiencing both of their feelings made my un-sureness worse. I was feeling everything with them, which just tended to confuse me more.

Angela Says: This storyline tests every boundary that I have when reading a book. I really, really dislike Ridge. I mean, I can’t even put all the words on paper that describe how much I dislike this guy. Lea was concerned that I found nothing at all redeeming in him, but somehow managed to find something to love about Anthony Rawlings from Consequences by Alethea Romig. I'm saying...I'm a complicated person. You never know when I'm going to find a redeeming quality in someone. I feel so bad for Sydney because I think she has a self-esteem problem or something. She jumped from a cheating relationship into this situation and seems to think she doesn’t deserve anyone or anything. I wanted to jump into my Kindle and tell her, “There is someone better out there for you!!” But no one ever hears me when I yell at my Kindle. *Sigh*

Teri Beth Says: Sydney is extremely likable. She’s just in a vulnerable place in life. I really enjoyed her character; she has a good heart. Sometimes I felt she was too nice for her own good! The way she handled herself in many situations made me respect her, and I agree, sometimes I wanted her to fight for herself. She is worth it. The situation they are in is not easy; there aren’t set rules for them to follow. It broke my heart more often than not, but there were times of humor too. Like, serious laugh out loud moments! Hoover always creates the best, best friends for that comedic relief. While this was not my favorite of her books, it is still an amazing read. It’s heartbreaking and honest, and beautifully written. It made me FEEL so much. I know I won’t be forgetting this 4.5 star story, nor Ridge and Sydney anytime soon!

Julie Says: I could really feel every emotion that Ridge and Sydney seem to have and I think that is what made my heart break even more for them. Even though I hated Ridge, I think I loved him even more.  I felt so bad for Sydney and the way she ended up being broken down even more at points in the story.  I didn’t find this to be one of my favorites of Colleen’s, yet I think that is what made this book so different for me. She is just one of those truly amazing authors that can reach down into your heart and bring out every emotion.  I laughed, I cried, and was so mad at them both.  In the end, everything worked to make this a one of a kind book and even though I felt let down at times, I really loved the anticipation that this book made me feel and give it 4.5 stars!!

Kathy Says: Colleen Hoover so carefully crafts each line, eliciting so many emotions from me that I can't count them all. Maybe Someday has an intricate storyline and a ton of angst. However, while I was admiring the writing, I was also lamenting parts of the story. Ridge’s final actions and words disappointed me. Toward the end of the book, I was ranting and raving to my friends and I found myself rooting for Sydney to find a better man. So my dilemma becomes: how do I rate a book that is fabulously written but disappointing plot-wise? In the end, I give the writing an exemplary 5 stars, and the plot is awarded 3 stars, so according to my math, that averages to a 4 star rating.

Angela: The writing in this book is awesome, the imagery and words flow and you can really see the story unfold. I highlighted some amazing one-liners that had me laughing out loud. I really did love Maggie; she was surprisingly strong and stable for someone who had been through so much. She handled some pretty tough situations with the poise of someone much older. I also liked Bridgette. I thought she was a total badass. I would love to hang out with her. Overall, I have to give it 3.5 stars, because while the writing was stellar, I just didn’t like the story. I wish I could rate it higher, but I just can’t rate a book that makes me so sad and angry four or five stars.

Lea Says: I am in the opposite boat. I almost need a book to make me feel sad or angry in order to give it high ratings, as long as it makes me feel. This story didn't let me down, at all. Honestly, the more days that pass since I read it, the more I seem to love it. I want to read it again. There were scenes that I found incredibly heartfelt, some infuriating. It was one of the first books I have ever read where the female performs a gesture for the sake of love and its beauty brought a tear to my eye. This book wasn't about any insanely crazy, fast-paced, or super sexy plot. It was about humans, doing human things, you know, sometimes they make mistakes and sometimes they change their minds. It felt like truth. Colleen Hoover comes to the table with 5 stars and, for me, she walks away with all of them and somehow leaves me with much more than I anticipated.   

Danielle Says: In my opinion, it is one of those books you really need to dissect and look at on multiple levels to feel and grasp its true potential. I had to really dig deep to try to understand the underlying traits of the characters and why they made the decisions that they did in order to really appreciate the story and learn to love the parts I hated. My emotions were all over the place and at times I wasn’t even sure how I felt about anyone or anything anymore.  This is one of the most emotional books I have read in a long time. I found myself laughing, crying and angry at times. Several of the scenes in this book will stick with me for a long time because they were amazing. It takes a talented author to evoke these types of feelings out of a reader and Colleen Hoover never fails to deliver. With the addition of the music to this novel, this 5 star experience was even better.
“I look away from the balcony, feeling the anger building in my chest, but I don’t even know who I’m mad at. Love, maybe? I think I’m mad at love.”





2 comments

  1. I love the new "6 degrees" review ! It is a great way to experience more than one person's opinion of a book at one time . Great job and I will be reading the next review/s :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mindy! We are so glad you like it:)

      Delete

All comments welcome!