Kathy's Week In Review


What I Read Last Week

Bully by Penelope Douglas 
I loved this smart, snarky, angsty romance! What a treasure! The story was carefully crafted and truly unique!  This book gave me a definite book hangover.  I started scouring my kindle for more angsty books!  I loved how strong Tate became and how she stood up for herself by pushing back.  Her antics had me laughing out loud and rooting for her.  Once the story unfolds you begin to understand Jared and why he acts the way he does.  In the end it was an engaging story that had me frantically turning pages until the pages turned no more.  5 stars!!

Until You by Penelope Douglas
This is a POV change (Jared's) for Bully. Much of the book I had figured out from reading Bully - but it was worth the read for the last chapter alone! 4 stars!

Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover
I started reading this book with no expectations.  I purposefully haven't read any teasers or press for the book.  I wanted to experience the magic of Colleen Hoover in its purest form.  This paid off when a big plot twist was revealed fairly early in the book. Holy guacamole I didn't see it coming! I don't want to spoil it for you...but it's something that changes the entire book.

Colleen Hoover so carefully crafts each line.  I feel as though every paragraph has a purpose.  It all ties back together and the writing is fabulous.  It elicited so many emotions in me that I can't count them all.  Maybe Someday is a unique book with an intricate storyline and a ton of angst.  While I was admiring the writing, I was also lamenting parts of the story.  

What it boils down to for me is that in the end Ridge did not have the qualities in a man that I felt Sydney deserved.  That any good woman deserves.  His final actions and words disappointed me.   Towards the end of the book I was ranting and raving to my friends and  I found myself rooting for Sydney to find a better man.

So my dilemma becomes: how do I rate a book that is fabulously written but disappointing plot-wise?  In the end I give the writing an exemplary 5 stars.  The plot is awarded 3 stars.  According to my math that averages to a 4 star rating.  But, don't take my word for it!  Read it yourself!  If you enjoyed the Thoughtless series by SC Stephens or The Avoiding Series by KA Linde, you should pick up Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover!

What I'm Reading Now

Off the Record by K.A. Linde

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!