Review: SCARRED BEAUTIFUL by Beth Michelle

Love believes in second chances.

Francis Heller lives with two truths. Love hurts and beauty is only skin deep.

With midnight black hair, moss-colored eyes, and traceable curves, Fran is the picture of beauty and confidence...on the outside. But deep down she is tormented. Not just by the jagged scars that line her body, but by the horrible memories that cloud her mind and haunt her dreams. The ones that make her want to flee from herself and from the devastating pain. The ones that cause her to placate herself with sex. Anything to make her forget. But for Fran, there's nowhere to hide from the darkness that swallows her whole.

Matt Dixon is the gorgeous brother of her best friend's fiancée. He's suffered losses of his own and isn't willing to let anyone in until his unexpected encounter with Fran Heller, the girl who challenges him and causes him to take a second look, not only at her, but at his own life.

But Matt has scars of his own.

Together can they help each other discover that second chances really do exist? That love doesn't have to hurt? Or has the damage they've both suffered cut too deep to ever heal?

**NA/Contemporary Romance with language and mature sexual content.**


Add to GOODREADS
*ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review*

REVIEW

"Dear Lord, Sweet Baby Jesus, and an Oh My God all wrapped up in one.  I hope to hell my mouth isn't hanging open right now."

On the outside Fran is a young, successful, professional.  Hidden underneath her layers Fran is scarred.  Dealing with an abusive childhood and a sudden devastating loss, she is just trying to make it day to day without having more panic attacks.  Meeting Matt an a conference in LA puts a spark back in her eyes that hasn't been there in a very long time.  Matt has faced devastating losses as well.  Yet, together they seem to find the joy in living.

But all that's behind me now, because a warm breeze blew in and whispered to me, tapped me on the shoulder, spoke to me silently.  "Do you want to live?"  The voice said, and in the next instant, it whispered, "I think you're beautiful." 

I was pleasantly surprised with this book! The synopsis had me thinking that I would be reading a really sad and depressing book.  This wasn't the case AT ALL.  Instead, Scarred Beautiful was quirky, sweet, and fun. There were definitely serious underlying topics... but they were spread throughout the book. It was a perfect mix of emotional and light fun.  This book had me smiling from page one.  The descriptions were colorful and the conversations were fun. 

"Fuck she's hot.  I can feel her uneven breaths against my lips as her chest rises and falls after hearing my words.  Those eyes, like green panes of stained glass.  That plump bottom lip, I'd love to take between my teeth.  And she smells good, like Jasmine and lavender." 

The dual point of view's gave us great insight into both of the main characters.  Matt is such a sweetheart - always thinking of Fran.  He was so understanding, loving, and caring.  Every time Fran had a panic attack, Matt was sincerely worried about her and came to sooth her.  He really was a perfect book boyfriend.  I was also happy that Matt's wealth wasn't flaunted.  No big, oversized gifts or impractical dates.  At the end of the day he was just a successful guy dating a successful girl.  

"I was distracted by the thought of some girl with eyes the most stunning shade of green I've ever seen." 

All of the characters had great depth and I especially enjoyed the two sidekicks - Caleb and Peyton.  They were the perfect friends, offering advice, encouragement, and lighthearted conversation.  In addition, the introduction of family characters was handled really well - I loved the family conversations.  So often in books the family is ignored while the main couple falls in love in some sort of bubble where nothing else exists.  It's nice to see caring family members as a part of this story. 

"you blew into my life, like a strong gust of wind--actually, more like a fucking tornado--and now I don't want to go back to the way I was before.  I want who I am when I'm with you, who I became the day I met you!"  My voice softens, the anger melting away.  "You make me want, Fran.  You brought me hope...but most of all.. you brought me back to life." 

In the end this book was both meaningful and fun. What a great fairy tale ending for these two special characters!  4.5 bright stars for Scarred Beautiful! This was my first Beth Michele book... but it definitely won't be my last.  I have already been browsing Amazon for her previous titles.

Purchase

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!