Julie Reviews Playing for Love at Deep Haven by Katy Regnery

Violet Smith and Zach Aubrey have history……the kind of history he regrets and she wishes she could forget.

She was the girl. The only girl. Ever.

Nine years have passed since heavy-metal songwriter, Zach, slept with, then walked away from, his best friend, Violet. But that doesn’t change the fact that he’s never gotten over her.

He shattered her heart.

Despite the years that have passed, chick-lit novelist, Violet, vividly recalls the pain of Zach's rejection, and hates that she's never been able to completely let go of the brooding boy who turned his back on her.

When the rocker and the writer find themselves thrown back together in a strange twist of fate, their chemistry is just as scorching as ever, but old wounds don’t just disappear. Even if Zach can explain why he walked away from Violet, can she find the courage to trust him again? Together they will discover if a love that broke them both is worth a second chance at forever.

Playing songs, playing for keeps……Playing for Love at Deep Haven

Add to GOODREADS.
ARC provided by author

REVIEW

I had this book on my wish list and when the opportunity to review it came along, I jumped on the chance and I am so glad I did. This is one of those books that will make you believe in fate and that first love can always get a second chance.

Zach was escaping to Maine to get a break from writing songs. He was also a guitarist and was not happy with how things were going for him. So, he decided he wanted to write something different and needed a break from the real world. 

Violet was an author who was in a writing slump. She had published her first book but couldn’t seem to get into the spirit for her second book. Her deadline was fast approaching and she had spent the money she was given up front and knew she had no choice but to get this book done. She knew she needed the quiet time so off to Maine she goes. 

Little did she know that when she got to the house she had rented, tall, dark, and tatted would also be there. Seems there had been a misunderstanding when each of them rented the house and she found herself stuck with the one man that broke her heart. Yes, her first love was standing right in front of her. But boy had he changed. Since they graduated Yale, he was no longer the man she remembered. I have to admit I didn’t see this coming at all. 

Zach had broken Violet’s heart years ago but never forgotten her. As soon has she had confessed her love to him, he ran. No matter how Violet tried to move on, she could never replace the love she had for Zach. I love seeing how they were thrown together and forced to make the best of the situation. You can feel that connection they still have after all those years. 

“I want a second chance. I want two weeks with you, and after two weeks, if you want to walk away from me, you walk. You go. At the end of two weeks, it’all be up to you. But I promise you, Violet, I will never walk away from you again.” – Zach 

The closer they got to one another they realized those feelings never died. I love seeing them open up to each other and realize that no matter how much they had changed, they were still the same. When she finds out he read her book and found out it was about them, he didn’t know what to say. But, when she finds herself in a situation, he does the only thing he knows to do to save her, which is could sacrifice their second chance at love. 

“I said I would go on loving you until I didn’t anymore. And I never stopped. I loved you at Yale. I loved you when we were apart. I loved you at Deep Haven, and I love you now. I love you forever.” – Violet 

This book was beautifully written and I have always believed in first love and this book didn’t disappoint me in the least. I love how they got reacquainted with one another and seemed to fall in love all over again. If you want a good book that will make you believe in second chances, this is one for you and I give it 4.5 stars.

PURCHASE

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!