Review: FULL MEASURES BY Rebecca Yarros

Three knocks can change everything…
"She knew. That’s why Mom hadn’t opened the door. She knew he was dead."
Twenty years as an army brat and Ember Howard knew, too. The soldiers at the door meant her dad was never coming home. What she didn’t know was how she would find the strength to singlehandedly care for her crumbling family when her mom falls apart.
Then Josh Walker enters her life. Hockey star, her new next-door neighbor, and not to mention the most delicious hands that insist on saving her over and over again. He has a way of erasing the pain with a single look, a single touch. As much as she wants to turn off her feelings and endure the heartache on her own, she can’t deny their intense attraction.
Until Josh’s secret shatters their world. And Ember must decide if he’s worth the risk that comes with loving a man who could strip her bare.


Add to GOODREADS!


*ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley*

Review

4 Stars

Full Measure is one of those books that immediately grabs your attention and sucks you in. Within the first few pages I was crying my eyes out and my heart broke for Ember and her family. I’m such a sucker for military books and this one was no different.

This book starts with three knocks at the door that will forever alter their lives. Having spent years in the service I know all about these knocks and it made my heart hurt. The Howard family is struggling, dealing with the loss of their father while serving in Afghanistan. Ember being the oldest is forced to pick up the remaining pieces of their family and help everyone carry on. Her mother is a shell of her former self, her younger sister is going wild and her younger brother is too young to really understand what is going on. Ember is a rock though. She helps everyone stay together the best she can and puts her needs on hold.

I really admired her character. For being so young she is so strong. Most college students would have headed back to school and only worried about themselves. Ember is mature though. She knows what she wants out of life and has a plan, or so she thinks. Unfortunately, not only does she lose her father during this time but her life plan quickly falls apart. The people she expected to be there for her have other plans and Ember is left alone, trying to figure out what she really wants out of life.

Enter Josh Walker. Oh Josh he is sexy, sweet and did I mention hot! Ember has always secretly had a crush on Josh. The two went to the same high school but Josh was a few years older. He has always been a ladies' man and doesn’t have the best reputation. It is Josh who ends up being there for Ember when her life is falling apart and quickly becomes her “whatever”. I would be drooling if a man ever said some of the things he says to Ember to me.

I just loved the connection these two share. Josh is supporting and so caring. He is a dream guy that will make you swoon. He is there for whatever Ember needs, while she tries to figure out what her new plan in life will be. At times I wanted to shake her and yell at her for her actions but at the same time my heart broke for her. The girl is going through hell and she is lucky to having such a wonderful guy by her side. The problem is that Josh has a secret hiding in the closet that will threaten everything.

This book has many up and downs that tugged at my emotions. One minute I was laughing and the next I had tears in my eyes. I appreciated that is was a well-developed story and didn’t end in a cliff! Man I hate cliffs. At times it was a little slow but overall I really enjoyed it. I will definitely be looking for more work from Rebecca Yarros in the future.

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!