Review: TORN by Eleanor Green

When Katie Harrington becomes engaged to Branson Stone she believes her life is right on track for all her dreams to come true.

However, flashes of a life she never lived haunt her—leading her to discover a past that has been purposely erased from her memory in order to protect her from horrible truths.

The look on her fiancé's face as she retells everything she remembers will forever be etched in her mind. Instead of catching and comforting her, he lets her go.

Retreating to the family’s cottage in the Outer Banks for the summer, Katie’s heart begins to heal. She succumbs to the allure of a dangerously handsome local, Aidan Romero. But as soon as Katie begins to let go and move on with Aidan . . . Branson finds her.

Now Katie is torn between two lives—facing her painful past with Branson, or moving on with Aidan and keeping the secrets safely buried forever.

Review

When I first started reading Torn, I wasn’t really feeling it. Honesty sucks, but the beginning of this book was just way too sweet for me. Katie is so innocent and pure and her relationship with Branson was a little cheesy to begin with. About 25% in, I was pretty sure this was not the book for me since I tend to love darker books with more angst, though I kept reading. I’m so glad I did because around 50% this book takes a drastic turn! Once Katie’s memory returns I was floored by everything that this young woman had gone through. My heart ached for her and I hoped she could overcome her past. The nightmares and crazy flashbacks of anger from the first half of the book started to make more sense to me, and I found that I appreciated the first quarter of the book a little more.

I really liked Branson. I thought he was a sweet guy and the love of Katie’s life. Although I don’t agree with his reaction to finding out about Katie’s past, I don’t blame him. To have that much dumped onto a person is a lot and I don’t think she gave him time to process it all. She really pissed me off. I’m so torn about Katie and her running off to the Outer Banks, and don’t get me started on the grandmother. I really wanted to tell that lady to mind her own business. I think her grandmother’s intentions were good but she should have let Katie work things out on her own.

I felt like the time Katie spent in the Outer Banks was a little rushed. The timeline threw me off a bit and I wasn’t feeling her relationship with Aidan. I had hoped she would find herself without needing a man. The thing is, she doesn’t, and Aidan becomes an important part of her life. Ugh, I can’t say I didn’t like him because I did but I really wanted her with Branson so it sucked watching her develop feelings for someone else. When Branson finally finds her, she needs to make a choice. End up with someone who knows everything or hide her past and move on.

"So you'd rather live a lie with someone you barely know, than live in the truth with me?"—Branson

Torn is one of the better debut novels I have read lately. I think the timeline was a little confusing but the content was good enough to overlook the things that bothered me. As the story progressed, the writing got better and I look forward to reading more from this author. It isn’t often that a plot throws me for a loop like this one did and I really appreciated how different it is from other books out there.

Purchase:

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!