Double Review: THREE BROKEN PROMISES by Monica Murphy

Breakout New Adult sensation Monica Murphy returns with a hot new contemporary romance—a heartfelt story of second chances, forgiveness, and redemption.

Commitment. That’s what I really want from Colin. Ever since my brother, Danny, died in Iraq, Colin’s done so much to help me, including giving me a job at his popular restaurant so I can leave my crappy waitressing job at the strip joint. But lying in bed with him every night to comfort him from his horrible nightmares isn’t enough anymore. I know he feels guilty about Danny’s death, about not going to Iraq, but I can’t keep living this double life.

I love him desperately, but he’s got so many demons, and if he can’t open up to me now, then he’ll never be the real partner I need him to be. I gave him a month, and now I’m out of here. If he truly loves me like he says, he knows where to find me.

Reviews

Three Broken Promises is book 3 in the Drew & Fable series by Monica Murphy.  It is the love story of Colin (Fable's boss from Second Chance Boyfriend) and Jen (Fable's best friend).

Jen has been in love with Colin for as long as she can remember.  He was her (now deceased) brother Danny's best friend growing up.  Colin promised Danny before his death that he would always look after Jen.  So when Colin finds out that Jen has hit rock bottom he swoops in to save the day.  He provides for her in every way he knows how: a place to live, a job, transportation, and friendship.  The one thing he can't give her is the one thing she so desperately craves: his love.  When Jen realizes that she can't get away from her past and that Colin won't let go of his past he decides it is time to venture out on her own and breakaway.  The question is will Colin wake up and give Jen the love she needs to stay? 

Poor Jen.  I really felt for her.  She is a sweet girl who lacks self confidence and self worth.  She is constantly worried that her past will be discovered and she won't be deemed worthy of love or a respectable job.  It's hard to have any self worth when your family doesn't care enough about you to help.  Colin rejecting her just reiterated these feelings.  The choice she makes to try to leave and make it on her own, while being admirable, was also somewhat naive.  She had it in her head that she was going to be independent but failed to think about how she would actually execute the required tasks to reach her goal.

Colin was fairly frustrating to me for almost the entire book.  His excuse for not getting into a relationship with Jen was his perceived failure at watching over her after the initial death of her brother.  Although I felt like this was something he used as an excuse so he could continue his bachelor no strings attached quickies.  

The beginning of the book contained a fair amount of angst, but once the two characters started to realize their feelings and take action the book was enjoyable.  Jen and Colin were sweet together and made for a nice read. 

I loved revisiting our favorite characters: Drew, Fable, and Owen.  One scene in particular where Colin asks Drew for advice was hilarious.  The "guy speak" was spot on.  The book also sets up Owen's upcoming story.

3.5 stars for Three Broken Promises by Monica Murphy.

“So scary, but the only time I feel safe, the only time I feel like I'm at home, is when I'm with Colin.”


Three Broken Promises is a spinoff of two characters from previous books in the Drew and Fable series. I absolutely loved the first two books and was excited about getting to know Jen and Colin after meeting them in the previous books. It wasn’t that this book was bad, it just wasn’t near as good as the first two books. 

In the beginning of the book there is lots of angst between Jen and Colin. They have quite a bit of history. Colin was best friends with Jen’s late brother Danny. Before Danny was killed in Iraq Colin promised to always look after Jen. He keeps his word when he finds out that Jen is having a hard time dealing with her brother’s death. Colin sets her up with everything she needs a job, place to live and stability. The problem is Jen is in love with Colin and he can’t give her the one thing she really needs, love. The two of them struggle with the loss of Danny and their feelings for one another. They are there for each other but it isn’t nearly enough. Jen finally decides to try and get away from her past and start over on her own. She no longer wants to be a burden on Colin. Can Colin live without her? Can Jen live without Colin?

I liked the struggle these two go through while they work out their feelings for one another. The dual pov’s help you get inside their heads and understand where they are coming from. The problem for me was I thought it was tad bit too much. While I like angst in books I really wanted to strangle these two. I thought they both made poor decisions and at several points in the book they drove me crazy. Other parts I fell in love with each of them. I enjoyed their characters and I especially enjoyed several of the steamy scenes.

I think my favorite part of this book was getting more of Drew and Fable. They are two of my favorite characters. That maybe while this book fell a little flat for me. I had high expectations because I loved the first two books. I still feel like it is a good read and I’m looking forward to Owen’s story. 

3.5 Stars 

Buy Links:

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!