Review: THE THRILL OF IT by Lauren Blakely

A new adult story of Love. Sex. Addiction. Blackmail. And Power...


Some say love can be an addiction. Others say it's the thing that makes life worth living. Let me tell you everything I know about love...Love isn't patient, love isn't kind. Love is a game, a chase. A thrill. Love is wild and war-like, and every man and woman must fight for themselves. At least that's how it was for me. A high-priced virgin call girl by the time I started college, I was addicted to love and to sex. Even though I've never had either. I controlled love, played it, and held the world in the palm of my hands. Then I fell down from those highs, and I'm being blackmailed for all my mistakes, forced to keep secrets from everyone, except the only guy I don't regret.

Trey...

With all the other women, I knew what they were. They were temporary. They were pills, they were bottles, they took away all the pain, and numbed the awful memories that wore down my ragged, wasted heart. Until I met Harley. She's the only girl I ever missed when she walked away. But now she's back in my life, every day, and there are no guarantees for us, especially since I don't know how to tell her my secrets. What happened to my family. All I know is she's the closest I've ever come to something real, and I want to feel every second of it.

How can you love with no regrets when regret is all you know?

Review

Harley is a Whore, She’s a sex addict, she’s a.... Virgin?? Wait, that didn’t fit in. It caught my attention. It was a puzzle. How does that work? Can you be all three? I had to read the book just to see how the dynamics worked. Lauren had me at virgin, because I almost always read virgin books. I’m a virgin book whore. Ohhhh, wait a second!! Maybe I’m a virgin book whore addict. (writing down a book idea! no one steal it)

Anyway, Trey is also a sex addict, but his drug of choice is cougars! Older women who enjoy the company of his hot young body. Most of them meet him in the building where he lived with his parents,  who were kind of detached from him, and we eventually find out why.

The two of them meet when Harley goes into Trey’s tattoo parlor to get inked, and they hook up for an intense make out session. But it’s more than that for both of them. It’s the first time Harley has let go with a guy, and the first time it hasn’t been about control, or money. You can actually read about this in a free novella called The Start of Us.

They are both surprised the next day when they find themselves face to face at their twelve step SLAA (Sex and Love Addicts ) meeting. They begin a friendship at that point that builds into more. Trey learns that she is being blackmailed by a woman who thinks Harley had an affair with her husband. Harley is also having a hard time not going back to her old life of a high priced call girl. Add in her incredibly strange relationship with her mother, and this book is incredibly hard to put down.

You admire Trey for his dedication to Harley, and for the demons in his own life he is fighting. You love Harley for all she has been through and her determination and fight. You also want to slap the snot out of her on several occasions. Trey has his moments too. He is a little on the jealous side, and trust me, he has the occasional reason to have doubts.

Now, I usually don’t give spoilers, but I feel I should give you a warning.... this book is at least book one in a series. So while I love Trey and Harley, I know I will be getting more, because Lauren left me hanging a little with a cliffhanger. Not a life or death cliffhanger. Just a “are you kidding me, bitch?” cliffhanger. I mean, I didn’t want to throw my Kindle or anything, just maybe email her to say “Hurry up!!!"

Overall, I loved the book! I didn’t want to put it down, I fell asleep reading at least one night and my Kindle hit me in the face.   (Don’t worry, it happens all the time with the good books!) So, I’m giving it four stars! I can’t wait for the next book!

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!