Review: FALLING by E.K. Blair

Sometimes it takes someone else to show us what we are truly capable of becoming.

Suffering from years of violent abuse, Ryan Campbell has learned how to keep people from getting too close. But when you shut yourself off, people get hurt along the way. Never caring much about others, Ryan creates a world in which he doesn’t have to feel.

When Ryan meets Candace Parker, all of his walls slowly begin to crumble. Not sure of the truth of who she is, he feels his mind is playing tricks on him. Unable to force out the thoughts that consume him, Ryan is haunted by visions that torment him every time he looks at her. He finds himself swallowed by guilt and blame, but he’s unwilling to turn his back on the one person that could possibly save him.

You’ve heard Candace’s story in Fading, now hear Ryan’s.

Add to Goodreads

Review

I read Fading this summer and liked it but if I’m being honest Candace drove me crazy. Yes, I realize that this is a very sensitive subject and a very ugly one but she got on my nerves so bad I wanted to scream at her to just get help already. I have never been in her position so I don’t know how I would react but I would hope I would reach out for help. I hope that no one ever goes through what she did but unfortunately this is a cruel world and it happens and my heart goes out to any woman who has to deal with being taken against her will. I can’t imagine what it took to write such a dark book and I applaud E.K. Blair for writing such a haunting and moving story. 

Now onto Falling. I have to say I enjoyed this book more than I did Fading. I loved Ryan in the first book and after reading his pov I think he is amazing. This book is not what I expected it to be. I have this thing about sequels and the same story being written in different povs. Some are hits and some are misses for me. I hate when you feel like you are rereading the same book so I was hesitant to read this one. I think that the majority of the book was different but there were a few areas I skimmed because it felt like I was rereading the same book. The beginning and end were my favorite parts. In the beginning you are introduced to a younger Ryan. I was excited because we got some insight to who he was before he is introduced in Fading. I connected with his character and understood why he is the way he is. I felt sorry for him because he grew up with such a monster and I really understood the demons he was hiding. I loved getting inside his head and finding out what he was thinking. While I was reading Fading I couldn’t help but wonder why he was waiting for Candace to come around. I understood that they had a connection but he went from sleeping around to having the patience of a saint and now I understand how that night affected him. It all started to make sense to me and I think I began to like Fading a little more. Towards the middle I thought it started to drag a little bit. At some points I felt like I was reading the same book for a second time. Yes it is from Ryan’s pov but it felt a little too familiar. I found myself skimming some parts and it felt long and dragged out. Candace started to get on my nerves a little bit but it wasn’t so bad this time. I actually liked her character more in this book. Towards the end I started to love her almost as much as Ryan. I really loved the end and epilogue. I had tears in my eyes and I loved seeing how things played out. 

I think it is necessary to read Fading first but I think that I liked Falling a whole lot more. I almost wish that this would have been one book with dual pov’s, I think it would have been an amazing read. I always love when two broken souls are able to come together and make each other whole again. This is a deep and heartbreaking story but it is beautiful and I enjoyed it. I look forward to reading more work from E.K. Blair in the future.   

Purchase

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!