Review: CATCH ME by Claire Contreras

In the past, I've always been given everything I've wanted, but nothing that I truly needed. I've experienced a lot of things in my twenty-five years, everything except the one thing I want. It's the one thing that can’t be bought. It can't even be taken, it has to be given. And nobody has ever given it to me, not really anyway.

Not until him.

Music is the center of both our lives, but as he found his place in it, I lost my way. He soared, while I spiraled down a destructive path.
I lost myself in more ways than I can count.

The ironic thing is that I didn’t realize how lost I was until he found me.

And now that he has, I have to wonder if he'll stay around long enough to catch me.
Add to GOODREADS.
ARC provided by author.

REVIEW

I was so excited to read Catch Me because I absolutely loved “There is No Light in Darkness” & “Darkness Before Dawn”. I loved the mystery and angst associated with both of that storyline, so I think my expectations were set a little too high for “Catch Me.” Did I like it? Absolutely. Did I love it? Well, I’m conflicted. I loved some parts but I felt like something was missing from others. I really enjoyed the plot, and loved that it was about the other side of the music industry, the side that books are hardly ever written about. I adored the characters and I enjoyed the progression of the relationship between them, but I felt like a few things were left unanswered. I’m not sure if there is going to be other books about the supporting characters, but I sure hope so because I have a few questions. 

This book is told from Brooklyn’s POV. Brooklyn is a beautiful young girl that comes from a rich and powerful family. Even though her parents are well off, they are lacking in the parental department. I immediately felt for her and connected with her character. She is rich but she has learned the hard way that her parents are more worried about appearances than her. Emotionally damaged and battling with huge demons, Brooklyn feels lost and alone and only has a few people in her life that she considers friends and family. Most of the book is spent in her head as she battles with her feelings and emotions, the heavy amount of guilt she carries around. Her demons aren’t immediately revealed and I enjoyed the lingering mystery, it kept me reading. The way the book is written you actually feel her sadness and rejection rather than being told it, which I really appreciated. The story is definitely a slow progression and nothing is rushed. 

Brooklyn’s parents have always controlled her one way or another. Once again, they are dictating Brooklyn’s life, and she is sent to New York to work with her father’s company. I hated her parents, especially her mother. My heart broke for her the way they treated her. I think there is a little bit of good in her father but not enough to win me over. All she wants is their approval and they barely acknowledge her unless it will benefit them. It made me sick the way they treated her! If it wasn't for her brother Hendrix I would hate her entire family. 

Shea is Brooklyn’s ex -boyfriend and now best friend. He is the stereotypical rockstar manwhore and I loved him. You can tell he really does love Brooklyn, or BK as he refers to her, in his own way. He just can’t keep his dick in his pants long enough to commit to someone. Their relationship is anything but traditional. Once lovers and now best friends isn’t a conventional relationship but it seemed to work for them. I felt the love the two shared even if it was just platonic. I wanted inside his head! I wanted to know what he was thinking and to learn more about his demons! Shea plays a huge part of this story. Over the years, Brooklyn and Shea have been through a lot, and have both learned the hard way that there are few people in your life that you can truly count on. When it was all said and done, I wanted more Shea. I want to know what happens to him. 

Nick is the producer that Shea is working for and I absolutely loved his character. He is smooth, confident and sexy. There are some serious sparks when Nick and Brooklyn first meet. Although I really liked Brooklyn, there was a few times I wanted to yell at her to get out of her head when it came to Nick. She is so guarded and hard on herself, and at times, her thoughts and flashbacks made it a little hard to follow the story. 

Overall, I did enjoy the book, I just wish there was a little more to it. There are some twist and turns and parts that made me oh and awe, but it was short of amazing. I was expecting more from Claire Contreras because I know she is capable of writing that kind of book. I wanted more in certain places and less in others. I also felt like it ended somewhat abruptly. I was thinking, “Really ? That is the end? What happen with this and that?” If we get lucky and there are other books that are associated with this one, I will defiantly read them. Regardless, I look forward to reading the next book she puts out.

Purchase

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!