Review: MUST LOVE OTTERS by Eliza Gordon

 Hollie Porter is the chairwoman of Generation Disillusioned: at twenty-five years old, she’s saddled with a job she hates, a boyfriend who’s all wrong for her, and a vexing inability to say no. She’s already near her breaking point, so when one caller too many kicks the bucket during Hollie’s 911 shift, she cashes in the Sweethearts’ Spa & Stay gift certificate from her dad and heads to Revelation Cove, British Columbia. One caveat: she’s going solo. Any sweethearts will have to be found on site.

Hollie hopes to find her beloved otters in the wilds of the Great White North, but instead she’s providing comic relief for staff and guests alike. Even Concierge Ryan, a former NHL star with bad knees and broken dreams, can’t stop her from stumbling from one (mis)adventure to another. Just when Hollie starts to think that a change of venue doesn’t mean a change in circumstances, the island works its charm and she starts to think she might have found the rejuvenation she so desperately desires. But then an uninvited guest crashes the party, forcing her to step out of the discomfort zone where she dwells and save the day … and maybe even herself in the process.
Add to GOODREADS.
ARC provided by author.

Review

What a fun book! Except for the cougar, yikes!, but other than that such a fun book! With a fun cover and a fun title! I’m pretty sure I was wearing one of those cheesy happy grins on my face throughout the majority of this book, as I read about Hollie’s adventures, or should I say misadventures, as she figures out herself and her life.

MUST LOVE OTTERS grabbed me on the very first page, with Batman Jerry and the rest of the crazy happenings, like belly nachos and yorkies and Troll Lady, that led Hollie Porter to have a premature midlife crisis. 

“I’m tired. Tired of fucking around, waiting for shit to get better. Because life doesn’t get better-it just stinks and smears and stains everything. I think I might be done with shit.”

So what does Hollie do? She gets away to Revelation Cove, but not before spilling too much info to Concierge Ryan when she calls drunkenly. After arriving at Revelation Cove, it’s one mishap after the next for Hollie. From scaling down the building naked, to the debacle that was Roger, to being stuck oarless in the rain. And Concierge Ryan was there to witness it all and help Hollie pick up the pieces every time. 

Hollie is an absolute hoot and I loved her! The things she gets herself into without even trying had me laughing every time. Her inner thoughts were so easy to relate to as she struggled with the lemons life kept throwing at her. Ryan’s humor and kindness just added to the awesomeness of the story. 

“God, you are something else. I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone like you, Porter” “What, you mean, crazy?” “Spirited. Feisty. Authentic.” 

MUST LOVE OTTERS kept me entertained throughout the entire story! As well as being pretty hilarious, it’s sweet and endearing and it warmed my heart. It’s one of those reads I’ll be recommending over and over to anyone looking a fun and quirky read! This is a wonderful debut novel from Eliza Gordon.

“Alas, my vacation is over. In the wilds of British Columbia, I lost some blood, I lost some fear, and I found my heart.”

Purchase

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!