Review: A LITTLE DEATH BY CHANCE by Kimber Swan

Tristan is the typical rich playboy with a troubled past and doesn't take life seriously. Kaitlyn is the sheltered girl whose shoulders bear the responsibilities of an adult instead of the college student she is. Tristan exposes Kaitlyn to a life she has only viewed from the outside. His dominant personality has intrigued her innocent side and overwhelms her rationale side. He offers her freedom and she is willing to be what he needs, but fears she may lose herself in the process. Fate has thrown the two of them together at every available opportunity. Will it have been for nothing or will their budding love survive life and fate?

Tristan's life is spiraling out of control as he is about to become CEO of Chance Industries, a job he really does not want because of the disappointment he is likely to see in his father's eyes. A past indiscretion and the realities of life have set him on a collision course with fate.

Kaitlyn's dysfunctional family has done everything they could ruin her college years, but despite them she graduated college and was accepted into medical school. Having always been the wall flower, she decides she wants to spread her wings and act her age. Kaitlyn accompanies her friends to one of Tristan's famous parties. While at the party, she finds herself in a position that could have detrimental effects. This is where their journey begins.

Review

3 Stars

Tristan Chance is the typical rich playboy. He has never had to take life seriously. His whole life has been living the fast lane and eating from a silver spoon. Other than going to college he hasn’t had any real responsibilities. He is constantly trying to live up to his parents’ standards but after failing them so many times he has pretty much given up. One day he plans on becoming the CEO of the family business but until then he is going to enjoy life. I loved Tristan in the beginning of the book. I can’t help it but I have a thing for smart mouth playboys who are man-whores. I don’t know why but I always enjoy reading about them. He has an “I don’t give a shit attitude” and uses women like crazy. When he first lays his eyes on Kaitlyn he can feel the instant connection. The two run into one another several times before they meet for real. I wasn’t crazy about this part of the story. I’m not one who believes in the love at first sight storyline. I would have enjoyed it more if things wouldn’t have progressed as fast as they did.

Kaitlyn is a college student who still lives at home to take care of her siblings. Her family life is quite different than her friends. Her mother and father both have a drinking problem and her home life is far from perfect. Really, her parents are keeping her from enjoying her college years. She acts more like the parent than the child. Her friends are trying to get her to act her age so her best friend talks her into going away to the Hamptons for the weekend. At first it seemed like a great idea but when Kaitlyn is caught in an unsafe position it really sets her back. Living like a college age student doesn’t sound like so such a great idea anymore. I really felt sorry for Kaitlyn while she deals with this, the poor girl has already been through so much. I really wanted her to be able to move on and she does eventually but while she is dealing with the situation she was put in, her immaturity really showed. There were a few times where I wanted to shake some sense into her, but then I was reminded of how sheltered she is. By the end of the book though, I felt like she finally got strong and stood up for herself. I just hope that the drama that unfolds in this book will not keep her from moving on in her life. 

When we were asked to review this book, I downloaded the sample to see what I was getting into. After the sample, I was intrigued and wanted to see what happened in the story. I’m going to be honest, there were some parts of the book I really enjoyed and others I thought could have been written better. The first part of the book starts off strong, the middle I wasn’t so sure about but the end was the best part. The writing definitely got better as the story developed. Ugh, it is a cliffhanger though! I loathe cliffhangers! I knew this before I started so I cannot complain. Will I read the next book? Yes, I want to see where the story goes! It has a little bit of mystery to it and I thought the plot was unique. It’s really hard to say much more about the story because there are so many twists and turns along the way and I don’t want to reveal any spoilers. All I will say is that the mystery of the story kept me reading when the story got a little to cheesy for me. I felt like certain parts weren’t very realistic and came across scripted. I wanted to feel the connection to the characters rather than have it spelled out for me. I thought most of the characters were likeable but just not always believable. I am glad I gave this book a chance and look forward to reading the next 2 books in the series.

Purchase

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!