Review: CAN'T GO HOME by Angelisa Stone

Everyone has secrets; secrets meant to be kept—hidden away where nobody can discover the truth. Adrian O’Donnell (aka: Dre Donley) is no exception. Dre spins tales and half-truths like it’s his job, keeping the reality of his past buried deep within each lie he fabricates. On the other hand, Kathryn Howell is the exception to the rule. She’s a straight-shooter, a tell-it-like-it-is, no filter kind of girl.

Kathryn’s honesty and straightforwardness is the ultimate turn on for a guy like Dre. He’s never met someone so sincere, so full of truth and innocence. Their chemistry is unavoidable, their connection, magnetic. When Dre sets out to make Kathryn fall for him, he doesn’t realize the grave mistake he’s making. Kathryn’s strength and convictions do not falter, even for an irresistible man like Dre. When his past resurfaces, and the lies come tumbling forth, Kathryn must decide if his deceit and betrayal can be forgiven or if the damage is irreparable. Will the truth ultimately destroy the relationship that neither one of them could deny or even attempt to resist?

This novel is for mature readers only, due to language and sexual content.

Review

Dre Donely, the hot, mysterious handyman of Charleston is captivated with Kathryn Howell, literary agent, and I am infatuated with their story.  While it’s a similar story style as many others (good girl meets hot boy with secrets and a little insta-love) it was the spunky heroine, my curiosity to learn Dre’s secrets, and the bouts of wisdom sprinkled throughout the story that had me hooked.

“That’s what’s wrong with the damn world today. Nobody wants to take a stand against the bullies.” –Kathryn 

Kathryn Howell is my new favorite heroine. I love her. She’s one of a kind, for sure. Kathryn is honest to a fault, she doesn’t play games, she’s insanely witty, and I want to be her new bff. Throughout most of the story Kathryn kept me giggling with her one-liners and quips. Another thing I loved about Kathryn, she’s an honest to goodness, good person. SHE is the main reason I kept reading this one.  

“Kathryn Howell doesn’t try to be the most beautiful, perfect women I’ve ever known; she just is.” – Dre   

“I could never forget the honesty of her words, the sincerity of her voice, the beauty of her presence…all things I’m not used to.” – Dre

Dre was just an added bonus; and a very hot bonus at that. He’s doesn’t want a women but yet he can’t stay away from Kathryn. He’s is a mystery to begin with. And I was very intrigued, the more he didn’t want Kathryn to know about his past, the more I wanted to know. He’s a good man, trying to become a better person than the skeletons of his past.  

“One minute you’re kind and sensitive, the next minute, you’re chauvinistic, vague, and arrogant.” – Kathryn 

As Dre’s secrets started unraveling, I can’t say they weren’t jaw dropping or anything too crazy, but instead they were more realistic and well played out.

“You can’t be someone you want to be if you don’t admit who you once were” – Kathryn 

Kathryn and Dre together is a sweet, funny, and HOT combination. Their banter kept me rolling. And I loved their friends, Rory and Sydney just as much. The storyline moved a perfect pace and the writing was smooth. I loved the little surprise at the end, I feel like it wrapped up the story nicely. Can’t Go Home is a beautiful love story and just a feel good book!  

“I need a little ‘Kathryn-courage’; kissing you gives me strength.” – Dre 


“As much as I don’t want to believe it, I like working this hard. People should have to work this hard for what they want, what they get out of life. People shouldn’t be handed every little thing they want on a silver platter, like it’s hors d’oeuvers at a fancy country club dinner party. If you want something, then you have to go get it, not just wait until someone gives it to you. That’s not the way life works.” – Dre

ARC provided for a honest review

Purchase

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!