Review: SHATTERED TIES by K.A. Robinson

Synopsis

With a former supermodel mother and a rock-and-roll legend father, Emma Preston has the best of everything. Nothing is as perfect as it seems though. After her parents divorce, she’s forced to live with her mother in a private Santa Monica community. Ignoring their parental roles, her mother becomes more focused on climbing the social ladder while her father is off on tour.

Growing up in a trailer park with his mother, Jesse is used to people looking down on him. When his mother begs him to submit an application for a scholarship to one of Santa Monica’s top private schools, he never expects to actually get it. When he does, he is forced to attend school with a bunch of rich kids. He ignores their stares as they judge him for having tattoos and a less than impressive car. As long as he has his surfboard and the guys at the tattoo shop, he knows he can make it through.

When Jesse shows up on the first day of school, Emma can’t help but be intrigued. Her mother would never approve of Emma talking to someone so poor, but she doesn’t care because something about Jesse draws her to him.

Jesse tries to hate Emma, but he discovers that he can’t resist her. Forced to hide their relationship from Emma’s mother and everyone else around them, things start to fall apart. When Jesse’s friend, Ally, decides to interfere, things go from bad to worse.

Can they survive their first love? Or will they be left with nothing more than shattered ties?

Book 1 of a 2 book series. 

Add to GOODREADS.

Review

Shattered Ties is the breath of fresh air that I needed to bring me out of my book funk.  You know those you have when you’ve read several angsty books and you just want a change.  Well, this is it.  I have always been a fan of K.A. Robinson and this one certainly delivered.  When I saw she had a new book coming out, I jumped on the chance for this one.

Shattered Ties starts with Emma, who is the teenage daughter of a rock star and snobby socialite mom.   I mean this mom is the queen of all snobs!  I just wanted to slap her and knock some sense into her for how she made Emma feel.   Emma is starting her junior year of high school and is definitely not her mother’s daughter so to speak.  She is down to earth and wants nothing to do with the high society life her mom leads and wants her to have.

So, on the first day of school, the ‘new boy’ arrives.  Jesse is nothing like anyone in the preppy school she is attending.  With his tattoos and address on the wrong side of the tracks, everyone knows he doesn’t belong there, but boy is he hot!!  No matter how much Emma tries, she is pulled to Jesse.

Jesse remembers Emma from when they were younger and was mean to him because of her mom’s influence.  But yet he is drawn to her and soon finds out she is not the upper class rich bitch he thought she was.  Even though her mom wants her to date Todd, the high school jock who would be perfect in her society world, she can’t get past the feelings she has for Jesse.

“I know we’re young, and there are so many things fighting against us, but I don’t care.  I know what I feel, Jesse.  I love you.” – Emma

I love seeing all the obstacles they have to face from her snooty friends to Andy and Ally, his best friends.  I must say that Ally is quite a force to be reckoned with with her tough exterior.  She makes it known she has the hots for Jesse too.    I really felt bad that not only did he have to fight to be in her world, but she has to fight to be in his.

                        “I like being tied to you.  Just promise not to shatter me.” – Jesse

Jesse certainly left me swooning and I just kept pulling for them to be together no matter what they had to face.  It really makes you see how mean people really can be just because they may not ‘fit’ into their own perfect world.  I must admit that this was not the kind of story I was expecting, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked out.   I easily give this 4.5 stars and can’t wait to get more of this story!!

Purchase

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!