Review: ROCK THE BEAT by Michelle A. Valentine


Synopsis:

Twenty-year-old Holly Pearson never dreamed that while working at her father’s motocross track she’d run into the walking, talking definition of trouble in a sexy, tattooed package—Trip Douglas, the man sent to evaluate the track for a possible investment opportunity. Holly makes no attempt to hide the fact she despises Trip, but she learns to be civil toward him when he offers to help her land the man of her dreams.

Trip needs a break from the crazy rock-and-roll lifestyle he’s been living for the past few years. With his Black Falcon band mates settling down with marriage and babies, Trip peruses an investment opportunity in motocross, something he’s always been passionate about. Hiding his celebrity status, Trip infiltrates the new business posing as a dirt bike rider training for the X-Games. The only obstacle is the owner’s daughter, Holly. She’s a real ball bustin' Ice Queen, and she’ll do whatever it takes to make the deal fall through. Trip soon discovers that winning over his new enemy is the key to gaining a partnership in Mountain Time Speed Track.

Knowing he’s the expert on getting laid, Trip ropes Holly into becoming his ally by helping her score a date with the man she’s crushing on. The problem is, the more time Trip and Holly spend together, the more they uncover the undeniable attraction between them. Soon they both realize that even the best laid plans go to hell when you find you’re falling in love with the enemy. 

**Book THREE in the Black Falcon series. Can also be read as a stand-alone novel**

Add to Goodreads.

Reviews:

Rock the Beat finds Tripp Douglas looking for a new venture. His buddies are all settling down, getting married, starting families and he feels left behind. While looking for a new investment opportunity he stumbles upon a family owned motorcross track. Holly is taking time off from college to help her father save the family motorcross business from bankruptcy. Fresh off of a breakup with her cheating boyfriend she goes out for a night on the town. When she runs in to sexy Tripp Douglas she has no idea he is the drummer for Black Falcon or that he is the mysterious investor coming to look at their operation. What she does know that this sexy stranger makes her tingle in all the right places. Trip doesn't disguise the fact that he's not a relationship kind of guy. He's looking for a good time and he has his eye on Holly. Holly has been burned in the past so she knows a player when she sees one and she isn't giving Trip any slack. 

I loved the banter between these two characters. Trip is sexy and knows how to flaunt it. Holly is feisty and knows how to give it right back. She is strong and sassy - just the way I like my leading ladies! Holly and Trip had me laughing out loud on numerous occasions. There was just enough suggestion and sexual tension to keep me on my toes. Once they do come together the sparks are hot!

"Easy there, sugar tits, no need to be bitchy. I'm plenty fun once you lose that stick up your ass." Adonis says before winking at me. - Rock the Beat

Once Holly and Trip decided to be friends and learn to get along for the sake of the business we start to see their relationship grow. Trip also offers to help make her ex-boyfriend jealous by pretending to be her boyfriend. I just love pretend boyfriend stories, because of course as soon as Trip starts pretending to be her boyfriend he starts to actually want to be her boyfriend. It was great to see his transition from bachelor to boyfriend material. He really had a revelation that helped him to understand why his buddies were settling down. Deep down he is a really sweet guy who totally won me over. Yet, Trip is keeping his celebrity a secret from Holly and it is eating away at his conscience. Once she finds out will she still want to be willing to accept Trip the lead drummer of Black Falcon?

My only complaint with this book is that I wished we would have seen more of the other Black Falcon bandmates. But, honestly it fit with the story. The band's dynamic is changing with the addition of the women and children. We got to see a hint of it in Rock the Beat, but I think we will see a lot more of it in the next installment when we find out what the future of Black Fallon will be! I know that I can't wait!

Four stars for Rock the Beat!


4.5 Stars 

Rock the Beat is the third book in the Black Falcon Series. Even though it can be read as a standalone, I would highly recommend you pick up the first two books plus the novellas that go along with the series. First, you will fall in love with Noel, then Riff and finally Trip. If you are like me,you will become a total Black Falcon groupie because I can’t get enough of these men. I didn’t think it was possible but each book in the series gets better and better. Rock the Beat was everything I had hoped it would be! It was a sexy page turner and I was sad when it was over! The next book in the series can’t come out soon enough, shoot I’ll take a novella, I just need more!

When I first started it, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I didn’t think it was possible to fall in love with another Black Falcon man but that is exactly what happened. Now I’m torn because I’m not sure who my favorite is. Hell, I’ll take them all if that is possible. <---I’m a total groupie. Even though Trip has been in the other books, I never connected with him until Rock the Beat. I’m so glad he has gotten his own book. At first I was a little disappointed that the band wasn’t in the book like they were in the others but after finishing it, I feel like it was the right thing to do. He deserves his own book and not to be overshadowed once again by the other band members. I loved that we got to see him as a man and not a member of the band. When he is first introduced, he is a total asshole and fits perfectly with the persona of a rock star. He is an arrogant ass with nothing more than sex on the brain. As the book progresses, his sweet side comes out and I fell totally in love with him. 

This book picks up right where the last one left off. Noel and Riff are happy and enjoying fatherhood so the band decides to take a break from the road. Trip needs a break also and is using his time to look for a new investment. He knows that the band won’t last forever so he is looking at other possibilities for his future. When he comes across a motocross track that needs help, he jumps at the chance. His plan is to go in pretending to be a friend of the investor to see if this is a good fit. Little does he know that the owner’s daughter is key to the success of the motocross track and the key to the happiness he secretly desires. 

I really related to Holly in this book. She reminded me what it was like to be her age. It took me right back to college when I was young and dumb. When the book starts, she has been away at college for the last few years and decides to come home to help her father out. She has spent the last two years in a relationship with Jackson. Jackson, what a fucking ass. Excuse my language but I can’t think of another word that describes him, well bastard might work also. Let's just say that Holly is young and dumb like most of us were at her age and she looks at Jackson through rose colored glasses. After he breaks her heart, all she can think of is getting him back. Yep been there done that, you can’t tell anyone they deserve better and they have to learn that on their own. If you haven’t gone through that, I’m sure you have watched a friend or two swoon over a guy that doesn’t deserve jack shit from them. Sorry I’m getting a little carried away but I hated Jackson that much! Back to the story. Max, Holly’s best friend, tries to pull her out of her slump and drags her out to the club. After a few drinks, Holly starts to feel better and ends up getting frisky with a hot guy from the club. What do you know the hot guy from the club walks into Mountain Time Speed Track the next day! 

Holly and Trip’s first encounter was hot but once Trip walks into Holly’s work the next day, his foul mouth and cockiness is anything but attractive to her. Since the two are stuck together for the next month they call a truce and make an agreement that will help her win back her ex. This is when the true Trip comes out. Your first impression of Trip is that he is man-whore who has no intentions of ever settling down but over time you start to understand why he's this way. I loved how sweet he was. He still has a filthy mouth and is cocky as hell but you really get to know him as a person and not a rock star.

I loved that this book took a totally different approach from the other books in the series. It worked really well. The sexiness was still there but the story was strong. Like the other books the sex was hot and well written but you got to see the other side of being a rock star. If you haven’t read any of the books in this series, I’m not sure what you are waiting for because they are all great! I can’t wait to read more, I really hope we get another novella before the next novel. Michelle is so talented and she has a way of bringing her characters alive. I look forward to more work from her.

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!