Review: AFTER THE STORM by M. Stratton


Alexia “Lexi” Hanson moved across country and rebuilt her life after the attack that could have destroyed her. She enjoys her simple life in the beach cottage. Life was complete in her eyes.

Noah Matthews is Rock & Roll’s hottest star and on top of the world. After years without a break he finds the solitude he craves at his beach house. Enjoying his early morning coffee Noah was surprised to watch his neighbor sneak into his garden and start crawling around.

They never saw what was coming that fateful morning. Someone else was watching them. Someone who thought she belonged to him and would stop at nothing to have her.

Lives are changed forever when they meet amongst the blooms in his garden. Even when things seem darkest, there is always light After the Storm.

Review:

4 stars

After the Storm was quite a pleasant surprise and immediately grabbed my attention. For a debut novel, it was well written and I devoured it in one sitting. It was completely different than what I expected. When I first started, I was excited to have another dark book to read. It starts off dark and mysterious but after a few chapters in, I was laughing my ass off. It takes talent to write a book that is creepy and funny at the same time.

The only reason I’m not giving this one five stars is the characters. I really enjoyed them but I didn’t fall in love with them. I actually have mixed feelings about most of the characters. I appreciate how strong Lexi is but at times she really got on my nerves. I really hate to say that because I understand that she was traumatized by what happened to her in the past. I admired that she is determined to not let it define her but at times I thought she was just stupid for not asking for help. I know I’m picky so most of you will probably feel different. I really can appreciate a strong woman but when you refuse help and put your safety at risk I think you’re just stupid. It’s kind of like in a scary movie when you’re screaming, “Hey idiot, don’t go out there, you know what is going to happen.” Yeah, that is how I felt about her during most of the book. On the other hand, Noah also bugged me. He is a rock star needing a break and the only member of his band that has not settled down yet. He is a constant flirt. I really liked his character and I enjoyed that he wasn’t the typical rock star douche but some of the lines he used were just cheesy. I think maybe I’ve been reading too many books with alpha males because I wanted him to be a little more dominating. I did love the old ladies though! The troublesome threesome had me rolling. I feel like they made the book.

Overall, I really did enjoy this book. The more books I read the pickier I seem to get. I felt like this one had the potential to be amazing but it left me wanting a little more in certain areas. The humor was great, the plot was mysterious and just down right creepy at times but I wanted it to be sexier. I can’t help it, I like the dirtier books. I would recommend After the Storm to anyone who is looking for something different to read. I wouldn’t classify it as a dark read but it is creepy. I will definitely be picking up the second book in the series to see where the story goes. 

Purchase:

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!