Thursday's Treasure Trove


Here at Lives and Breathes Book Blog we are cheerleaders for all things Indie and would like to help Indie authors receive as much exposure as possible. One way we plan to help that along is through a new weekly segment called Thursday’s Treasure Trove. In the Trove, we will be digging up some Hidden Gems and Buried Treasures. The Hidden Gem will be a book that one of our bloggers has read and loved, yet has seen little fanfare. The Buried Treasure will be a book that was popular when it was released, at least six months ago, and has seen little action as of late. If you have a favorite book that qualifies for either category, let us know and maybe you will see it on the Trove post in the future. Happy digging!!

Hidden Gem of the Week
The Tied Man by Tabitha McGowan
Discovered by Danielle
Lilith Bresson, an independent, successful young artist, is forced to travel from her home in Spain to the wild borderlands of northern England, to repay her feckless father’s latest debt by painting a portrait of the enigmatic Lady Blaine Albermarle.

On her first night at Albermarle Hall she meets Finn Strachan, Blaine’s ‘companion’, a cultured and hauntingly beautiful young man who seems to have it all. But Lilith has an artist’s eye, and a gift for seeing what lies beneath the skin. She soon discovers that Blaine is more gaoler than lover, and if the price is right, depravity has no limits.

As the weeks pass, Lilith finds that she too is drawn into the malign web that her patron has spun, yet against the odds she forges a strong friendship with the damaged, dysfunctional Finn. In a dark, modern twist to an age-old story, Lilith Bresson proves that sometimes it’s the princess who needs to become the rescuer.

Please note that this storyline contains depictions of drug abuse, violence and non-consensual sexual activity.

The Tied Man is my go to book when friends are looking for a dark read suggestion for a few reasons.  The first being this is the darkest book I have ever read.  The second reason is most people have never heard of or read this book.  Third, I loved this book.  It is one of those books that sticks with you for days.  Heck it has been over a year since I read it and I still think about it sometimes.  The final reason is I love to hear my friend’s reaction when they finish. 

I came across this gem last year when I was on one of my favorite blogs and everyone kept talking about it and how good it was.  So off to Amazon I went.  My first impression was, ok well the synopsis doesn't really sound like something I would read. Trusting my fellow book lovers I snatched it up and holy shit it blew me away.  The synopsis does not do it justice. 

Take the warning seriously though, this book is not for everyone!  It is very dark.  There are some very graphic and disturbing parts.  I actually felt sick to my stomach at times and wanted to put it down.  The problem was I couldn’t, I was intrigued.  I wanted to see what happened.  I was disturbed but hopeful so I kept going.  I’m so glad I did because this one is a total mind fuck!  It was so worth the knots in my stomach and I loved every minute of it.  If you love dark books and are looking for something new to read pick this one up.  

Purchase


Buried Treasure
The Reluctant Dom by Tymber Dalton
Rediscovered by Angela
Love hurts...if you're lucky.

Kaden knows he's dying, but before he goes, he has one problem he needs to solve - he must ask his oldest friend Seth to take over as his beloved wife's Dom and Master after his death.

Seth has always seen himself as the perpetual screw-up and Kaden as the strong and steady one, so his friend's request rocks his world. Now Seth finds himself immersed in a role he's far from comfortable with: inflicting pain to provide emotional comfort for the woman he's secretly loved for years. Can he deal with his crushing grief and learn the skills he must master in time to become THE RELUCTANT DOM?

Warning: m/f/m menage, anal sex/play/toys, BDSM, bondage, D/s relationship, and the lesser-known "normality" of the world of BDSM
I can’t really remember the exact date I read The Reluctant Dom by Tymber Dalton, but it is by far one of the most memorable books I have read. Why, you ask? Because I cried like a baby. From almost the first chapter. I’m talking ugly tears, two new pair of contacts, bloodshot, puffy eyes, my husband making fun of me crying. I have you attention now, right?

This book was moving on so many levels. I had read several BDSM novels before, but this was the FIRST one that made me see BDSM as something other than “kinky sex”. It made me see it as a lifestyle, and as something that some people need. It was also the first menage relationship that I read, and although it isn’t really my ‘thing’, it was tastefully done, and the people so obviously love each other, I couldn’t do anything but love it.

Seth struggled to become what Leah needed while being there for Kaden, and in the meantime, becoming the man he should have been all along. Just a moving story, and there are so many great books out there, it has been buried for far too long!

Here is an sample from the first chapter....

“The bombshell pressed into his mind every few minutes. He'd be thinking about his classes, trying to run through things in his mind, then suddenly the thought.

Kaden's dying.

Trying to memorize something.

Kaden's dying.

Like a horrific heartbeat in his brain.

Kaden's dying.”


Purchase

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!