Review: BOLD TRICKS by Karina Halle

BOLD TRICKS
by Karina Halle
Publication Date: October 15, 2013
Genre: Contemporary/Romantic Suspense/New Adult
Purchase: Amazon B&N iBooks
The Faster They Live, the Harder They Fall . . .Raised by con artists, Ellie Watt has a lot of crazy childhood memories-but none crazier than being scarred with acid by the demented crime boss Travis Raines. Now Ellie is a full-grown woman who lives for revenge, and Travis is a full-blown drug lord who kills for pleasure. The sadistic bastard has kidnapped her good friend Gus as well as her mother, whom he's been holding as prized possessions in his heavily guarded lair. And Ellie has only one chance in hell of getting them out alive-using two dangerous men who love her to death . . .

One is Camden McQueen, a talented tattoo artist who's made a permanent mark on Ellie's heart. The other is Javier Bernal, her fiery ex-lover who's busted more than a few heads in his time. From the crime-ridden streets of Mexico City to the predatory jungles of Honduras, this unlikely trio forms an uneasy alliance in the deadliest game of all-a gun-blazing battle to the finish that will pit enemy against enemy and lover against lover. And Ellie must choose the right man to trust . . . or die.
ARC provided by publishers via NetGalley

Review

And that is how you end a series. Well done, Karina Halle, well done. 

Bold Tricks starts with a bang and ends with a bang; it’s pretty much one big BANG!

It starts right where Shooting Scars left us. Javier has saved Ellie and Camden from Travis and is now going to assist them in getting Gus back, but of course Javier still has his own agenda. He still plans on taking over Travis’s cartel. Let’s just say it’s an awkward situation. 

“On one side of me was Camden McQueen, on the other Javier Bernal. One more light than dark, one more dark than light. Both men have come for me. And both of them I had seriously underestimated.” 

Bold Tricks took me on an adrenaline pumping, action packed ride! It never once slowed down. There were new twists at every turn; I learned to expect the unexpected. Just when I thought things would be calming down, BAM. The story went in an entirely different direction than I anticipated. It kept me on my toes and on the edge of my seat. It also kept me up all night. Once I started Bold Tricks, I couldn’t stop. I was pulled into their world and couldn’t manage to drag myself out of it. Not that I really wanted to. 

I have always loved Ellie. Even when she wasn’t making the decisions I wanted her to make, I still loved her. She is good, I don’t care what Javier or anyone else says. She has a good heart; she’s just in the wrong world. In this installment of the series, she had to make tough decisions, do things she didn’t want to do, things that broke her a little. I felt for her throughout her journey. 

Camden. Oh that tattooed man. How I love him so. He’ll go to the end of the earth for the women he loves. And that’s exactly what he does for Ellie. Now there some tension between the two due to some things that happened in Shooting Scars but Ellie is determined to win Camden back and well Camden can’t deny is love for Ellie. 

“My Ellie. My beautiful girl. I will burn for you. I will die for you.” – Camden

The there’s Javier. I hate him. I really do. I’ve never been a fan. Don’t get me wrong, I understand the appeal but he doesn’t love Ellie, to me he is more obsessed with her being his queen. That isn’t love. He wants to use her. I hate the way he plays with Ellie’s mind and heart. 

“The snake and the bear, the man of stealth and lies, and the man of soul and strength. Both men who had a stake in my heart at some point in the game. This ever-changing game.”

Bold Tricks has it all; action, suspense, sex, drama, secrets, romance and betrayals. It really was an ever-changing game. It was a riveting and perfect conclusion to The Artists Trilogy. I’m going to miss Ellie, Camden, Gus, and do I even dare say Javier? Well, I’d be lying if I didn’t say I’d miss him a little. 

“Baby, I’m Camden McQueen.” – Just had to throw that in there since it kinda made me swoon.  



Author Bio:
The daughter of a Norwegian Viking and a Finnish Moomin, Karina Halle grew up in Vancouver, Canada with trolls and eternal darkness on the brain. This soon turned into a love of all things that go bump in the night and a rather sadistic appreciation for freaking people out. Like many of the flawed characters she writes, Karina never knew where to find herself and has dabbled in acting, make-up artistry, film production, screenwriting, photography, travel writing and music journalism. She eventually found herself in the pages of the very novels she wrote (if only she had looked there to begin with).
Karina holds a screenwriting degree from Vancouver Film School and a Bachelor of Journalism from TRU. Her travel writing, music reviews/interviews and photography have appeared in publications such as Consequence of Sound, Mxdwn and GoNomad Travel Guides. She currently splits her time between her apartment in downtown Vancouver and her sailboat, where a book and a bottle of wine are always at hand. She’s hard at work on her next novel.

Authors Social Networking links:
Twitter: @MetalBlonde

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!