Review: CARTER REED by Tijan

Emma decided to skip the gym and went home early. It was the last easy decision she made because she found her roommate being raped by the boyfriend. She had two choices. Call the cops and be killed by his family’s mafia connections or kill him first and hope to survive. There was no choice to her. She killed the bastard first and went to the one person who could protect her. Carter Reed. He’s a weapon for the rivaling mafia family, but he’s also Emma’s secret. Not only was he best friends with her brother, but she’s the reason he became that weapon in the first place.

Add to GOODREADS.
ARC provided by author.

Review 

Well this one starts off with a bang! I was hooked after just the first page! I know you hear that all the time but believe me it is so true with this book! Holy shit it started off like no other! If Tijan wanted my attention she got it! 

It was already late when I picked this one up and I had to be at work at 6 the next morning so after 7 chapters I forced myself to put it down and get some sleep! It sucked though because I couldn't sleep because all my thoughts were about this book! 

The first few pages were amazing! Emma decides to skip the gym and go home early. When she arrives home she finds her roommate Mallory's boyfriend there. She doesn't think very highly of him. She thinks he is a douchebag and debates about whether or not she should leave or go ahead and go inside. With her decision made up she heads in. Little does she know what she is about to walk herself into. She finds him raping her in the living room. I was floored by the description used to describe this horrific scene. I could picture it in my head so clearly and it made me sick to my stomach! That didn't stop me from reading though! If a book starts off this strong what else does it have in store! Well I wasn't going to put this one down. No way! I love these dark and twisted books! 

With the horrible scene in front of her Emma is forced to make a decision! Call the cops and be killed by his family’s mafia connections or kill him first and hope to survive. There was no choice for her.. With her mind made up she did what she had to do! 

"Vomit and hatred spewed up in my throat, but I clamped them down. They wouldn't burst out of me, not when I had a chance to do something that I knew I would regret but even with that though, the decision had already been made in my mind."-Emma

She kills the bastard to save her friend! This is the last decision she will make for herself! Once she squeezes that trigger their lives are at stake. You see the douchebag was part of the mob and once his family finds out about his death someone will have to pay for it! Emma and Mallory are left with no other choice but to run! They end up at a Mallory's co-worker and friend Ben's house. Ben has always been in love with Mallory and takes them in without any questions. 

Mallory is suffering and Emma knows their lives are in danger. There is only one person who can help her out of this mess and protect her, Carter Reed! Carter Reed is a weapon for a rivaling mafia family and Emma's secret. No one not even her friends know the connection they share. Carter Reed was best friends with Emma's brother before he was killed by the mafia. Her brother's death is also the reason Carter is now associated with the mafia. 

Carter is a killer! Dark and dangerous but so hot! Emma has seen him in passing over the last ten years but she isn't even sure he will remember her! The only thing she knows is that she needs him now! Her brother's last words come back to her and she knows she has no other choice! 

"You don't trust anyone, no one except Carter. Go to Carter. He'll take care of everything. He'll take care of you, Ems. I promise."

With such a strong start I was thinking this one would end up on my all- time favorites list but towards the middle of the book it started to go downhill for me. The sex scenes were good but I felt like it was missing something. I didn't connect with Carter the way I had hoped and I wanted more drama. I don't know maybe I'm a drama whore but I wanted more action. The story itself is wonderful but the delivery fell flat for me. I was even confused at certain spots. 

Overall I would recommend this book if you are looking for a romance novel that isn't sappy! I know I fall middle of the road with this one. I'm not even sure how I would rate it. The beginning of the book was a 5 or more stars for me but the middle and end fell more around 3.5 stars. Several of my friends loved it and rated it 5 stars overall. I think this is one that you need to read for yourself because everyone's taste is different. Carter Reed is definitely worth reading and after this one I need to read the few Tijan books I already have waiting on my kindle.

Purchase


No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!