Review: CHOSEN by Paulina Ulrich

Nothing can stand in the way of outspoken, rule-breaker-extraordinaire; Kaddy Richston...except destiny. Born with a spitfire personality and a take-no-nonsense attitude, Kaddy set her sights on being in a rock band and leaving her small Wyoming town along with the painful memories of her past. Kaddy knew she was a freak show with wildly colored hair and piercing gray eyes but was determined to do whatever it took to depart her broken childhood and make her own way.

But destiny had other plans for her.

The seemingly observant and mysterious Cole Huntington enters her life and becomes the bump in the road Kaddy is trying to pave for her future. Striking blue eyes, features to make any girl swoon, he's everything but the new-to-town bad boy. Calm, cool, and always collected, he plans on unraveling every one of Kaddy's dark secrets.

Hating him from the start and trying to fight her insane attraction to him, Kaddy is determined to undermine whatever intentions he has until she learns of a destiny she never asked for. Getting throw into a battle that's been raging for more than a thousand years, the fate of the world lies in Kaddy's hands as she learned just how different she is. The only person she can turn to for answers is the last person she'd want help from: the frustratingly attractive; Cole Huntington, who seemed to dislike her rule-breaking as much as she dislikes his rule-following.
Add to Goodreads.
ARC provided by author.

Review

Sometimes you read a book and you love the story. It’s something that could be absolutely amazing. The story, the characters; it all has this potential to blow your socks off, but due to the execution your socks stayed on. That was Chosen for me. I LOVE Kaddy, I LOVE Cole, I LOVE Mike and the guys, I LOVE what takes place. There were just details here and there that I felt were missing. Or questions that I thought should have been asked that weren’t. 

Kaddy Richston is a sarcastic, follow no-rules kind of girl, with a bad past. She plays the drums in a band; I’m pretty much in love with her because of that. Women playing drums has always been bad-ass in my mind. She is also a bit different with her fiery red hair and silver eyes. Mike is her best friend, her “anchor to reality”; he’s in the band along with Josh and Owen. They are all great characters and I enjoyed the interactions between them, except when Owen was being an asshole. They cared about Kaddy so much and it showed. I was beginning to think Mike really cared for her, a bit more than just a friend…still may. 

Then enter Cole Huntington, the new guy in town that wears too much cologne. Ok, maybe he doesn’t but I loved how Kaddy referred to him as Scent Boy. He’s interesting. But he has secrets. Kaddy and Cole had an instant dislike for one another, but they were drawn to each other as well. There was a lot of back and forth between the characters. It intrigued me. 

“You don’t belong in my world, and I don’t belong in yours. Simple as that.” – Cole.

Yep, super curious now! Kaddy starts to have pain and fevers and it seems Cole has a way of making it all better. Then Kaddy changes. She’s something that she never could have imagined. It’s during all these changes and revelations that I wanted more. I wanted Kaddy to be more shocked, ask more questions, and just be more curious. She took it all in stride way to easily for me. I do love that Cole was there to help her through it all! I’m pretty sure I have a crush on nerdy Cole. 

“Maybe I don’t see it because she isn’t the one I want to know.” – Cole. SWOON. 

Paulina Ulrich has written a very exciting paranormal read. I loved the paranormal side of the story and I’m very interested to learn more as the series progresses. The characters were enjoyable and I’m anxious to see where the road takes them. It was the lack of enough detail and information that didn’t make it a higher rating for me. Chosen is still a book I highly recommend to paranormal fans and I know I’ll be reading the next book! I have to know if Kaddy and Cole’s paths ever cross again!

Purchase

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!